Jumping into spring sports with freshman, How they feel about upcoming season

BROOKELYN PRIEBE, Reporter

New freshman students are about to start or have already started their sports for the first time in high school. Some students are starting their sport for the first time ever this year, while others have been playing for a year or more.  

Students Cody Deak and George Feldbush started their first year of wrestling ever.  

Deak first started on varsity as a Freshman but then went on to JV. He says if you want to be on varsity, you must “wrestle off the guy [wrestling a guy also on varsity and if you win you get the spot]and earn your spot on the team.” Feldbush made the JV team his first time. 

Deak then said it is a tough sport “especially conditioning wise and the coaches are a little rude sometimes, so it is just a hard sport in general.”   

For conditioning, Deak says they must “run six laps around the school, we do stairs, we do sit ups and push-ups, and do more sprints when we get inside the wrestling room.” Feldbush also says “we do a lot of running and it really is not fun.”  

Both Feldbush and Deak also play baseball. Deak has been playing baseball for twelve years on Jarrettsville and Feldbush has been playing for nine years also on Jarrettsville.

For baseball, Deak says he plays “first base, and I also am the pitcher.” So Deak will be specifically trying out for those positions when the time comes for tryouts. Feldbush will “normally play for second base” so he will be trying out for that position.  

Both Deak and Feldbush both hope to make JV but have bigger hopes for varsity. If they got the chance, both would play varsity and not turn down that chance.  

Freshman Hudson McCrae has played his first year of high school basketball. Although it is his first year in high school, he has been playing basketball for eight or nine years.  

When it came time for basketball tryout, McCrae says “the tryouts were somewhat stressful, and I was pretty nervous for it, but I made JV.” McCrae says for tryouts they did “conditioning, but warmups first, we did games like shooting just to see percentages of accuracy, and we also did different types of shots to see if we could do it” 

“For conditioning the coach made us do drills where you would be on a line and just run back and forth and you would pass the ball and do a lay-up and just continuously do that, there was also suicides [fast sprints that progressively have a longer distance.]”