Hauer commits to Penn State York, Continuing baseball career

Brian Hauer

Brian Hauer committed to play baseball at Penn State York in November 2021. He is excited to play and feels that he will be a good aspect on the team.

Mekenzie McCann, Reporter

Senior Brian Hauer committed to Penn State York, in November 2021. The athlete continues his baseball career as a center fielder at PSY,  which is  part of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) and is a DIII school. 

The school focuses on education a lot and Hauer feels “that [he] can excel learning wise [there], Hauer states.

Hauer felt that PSY was a good college for him because it has “good opportunities for [him]” and he has “really good chances of starting as a freshman,” Hauer states. He also feels that “the vibes [he] gets from the school are better than a lot of the other ones,” Hauer states. 

Another bonus that the school has is “a program called the discovery program where [he] can get $26,000 off my tuition,” Hauer says. 

Hauer was getting looked at by Salisbury, and he was also “really into Salisbury because I knew people on the baseball team, and they actually talked to me for a little bit. However, the team needed lefties, and [he] is not one, so then York reached out to [Brian] and ever since then [he has] pursued that,” Hauer comments.     

Hauer also had other colleges looking at him such as Hood College and West Virginia for baseball. However, he feels that PSY “fits [him] right [rather] than other colleges [he] has looked at,” comments Hauer. 

Hauer also got scouted for playing baseball at Frostburg and another school in Virginia. However, he could not play football for these colleges due to being committed for baseball, but if he was not committed then he would have played football because he “likes  football as much as [he] likes baseball and it would be cool to play two sports in college,” Hauer states.

Hauer began his recruiting process in his junior year, and he says that the “recruiting process was slow, a slow process, and it was a lot of waiting for finding the right school and being seen by colleges.”

“Penn State reached out to [him] first but some of the colleges like Salisbury, [Brian] reached out first,” Hauer says. 

Hauer feels that he will be a good aspect on the college baseball team due to how he “plays baseball, [he] is good on the base pads and they need speed. I overall feel that I can help,” Hauer says.

Hauer decided to remain undecided as of now, but he is going into a business major. He decided on this major because “with business, in the future you can do anything with business…it is just [a good major] for any job,” Hauer comments. 

Hauer says that he is looking forward to the college season where he will “excel at baseball, improve from where [he is] now and be and play at a higher level.”

Hauer began playing baseball when he was four, and played for Forest Hill Recreational, Forest Hill travel, and eventually Hickory.