Indoor track team performs well at States; 6 athletes compete in 3 events

Jack O'Conner, Reporter

The indoor track team recently made it to states at Prince George’s College,with much of the team trying their hardest and taking indoor track far beyond the idea of something to do in the offseason to stay fit. 

Koryn Sims placed in state pole vault, with Jodi Cadden, Eden Hussung, Sierra Weaver, and Kendal Chandler placed in 4×8 relay, and Anna O’Leary placed in the shot put. 

Many students like sophomore Eden Hussung, who was one member of the 4×8 relay who competed at States, believes that the drive of individual athletes and the excellent coaching behind is really what brought the indoor track team as far as States. “There were around 20-25 teams including all of 1A and 2A, but we still showed up and showed out!” said Hussung. 

Junior Anna O’Leary explained her experience this year. “For the most part it was a really tough year; the coaches really pushed, almost to our breaking point, but did so in a great way and I really saw a lot of improvement throughout the team this year and am not surprised that we made it to states.” 

Though now that the indoor track season is over, many of its participants are looking forward to regular track. Hussung says, “indoor track was a great learning environment and I think it really helped prepare me for this upcoming track season.” 

Members of the indoor track team say it is a great place to train, compete, and meet new people in “a supportive and tight-knit team that strives for the team to succeed,” according to O’Leary. The athlete adds that “indoor track is a wonderful group of people, all hardworking and all pushing you to be better.” 

Indoor track has had fantastic seasons and is excited for spring track and field. “Hoping to make states there as well, with just as much perseverance and hard work. Not to mention the excellent coaching,” says Hussung. Who wishes our hawks well and is excited for up and coming seasons.