Boys lacrosse readies for tough battles, Looking to upcoming season with hope

STELLA MANNS, Sports Editor

With sixteen games to look ahead towards, the Hawks boy’s lacrosse team is ready for the season. The first five games of the 2022-2023 season will be at the Nest, followed by four away games in a row. 

Senior captain Kian Pucher (offensive/defensive middle) has high hopes for the season. He is “excited to play Bel Air this year” because it is “always a fun game to play in.” Pucher is also wanting to play Fallston because of the rivalry between the Hawks and the Cougars.  The Hawks will play Bel Air at home Apr. 14 at 6:45 and Fallston on Mar. 24 at 6:45. Both games will be held at the Nest. 

“After going to a state championship for soccer,” Pucher “wouldn’t mind going back there for lacrosse.”

Senior Jackson Deibler (defense) has been playing lacrosse since elementary school and has played for the school since freshman year. Deibler is most ready for the game against C. Milton Wright. He hopes the team can “go undefeated this season.”  On Apr. 26 at 6:45 the team will play at C. Milton Wright. 

The season will consist of games in Harford County, but also with teams from Carroll county, Baltimore county, Cecil county and Anne Arundel county. 

After losing key players from last season, senior Kyle Hoy (defensive- midfielder)  is hoping to “get good chemistry this year.”  Hoy hopes the team can come together and “improve on” working as a team “and be formidable.” 

Hoy is most excited to play Patterson Mill because last season according to Hoy the team “didn’t play the greatest against them” losing by two. The Hawks will be at Patterson Mill on Mar. 29 playing at 5:00. Preseason conditions made it easier for underclassmen and juniors joining the team to bond according to Hoy as well.  

Junior Blake Howell (goalie) is hoping the team can “win regionals, and maybe go further depending on how the season goes.” Howell shares the same excitement as Pucher did when it comes to playing Fallston. Pre-season conditioning has helped Howell “a lot, considering how much” they run.

Since third grade, junior Preston Webb (midfielder) has played lacrosse. Webb hopes for the team to “advance through the first round of regionals.” He is most excited to play “Fallston, C. Milton Wright and Bel Air,” because they are rivals of the Hawks.

Pucher, Hoy, Deibler and Webb all shared the same fond memory from last year’s season. Their favorite memory from the past seasons has been when the Hawks were “down to South Carroll the whole game and ended up coming back and winning with 18 seconds left in the pouring down rain,” according to Pucher. Webb remembers the game ending in “overtime with an 80 yard pass down the field.”

Junior Colin Heuser (long-stick midfielder) thinks that having pre-season conditioning helps him to “get to know the team and coaches better.” Heuser is most ready for the Havre De Grace game on Apr. 21 at 6pm. This game will be at the Nest.