Baseball, softball find home plate; Hawks’ seasons on diamond comes to close

The baseball team rallied in the middle of a game. The team does this during their games to foster team spirit.

Megan Hauer

STELLA MANNS, Sports Editor

Baseball and softball have ended their 2023 seasons. Softball finished 6-11 and baseball finished 8-10. 

Both teams have faced a tough set of games this spring season. Baseball has wins over Edgewood (24-7), Patterson Mill (1-0, 4-1), Rising Sun (12-8), Harford Tech (15-8), Bo Manor (5-0), and Havre De Grace (12-2). 

Meanwhile, softball holds wins over Edgewood (16-3), Harford Tech (5-2, 2-1), C. Milton Wright (10-9), Havre De Grace (17-11), and Bel Air (6-5).

Junior Wyatt Canapp is proud of his team, he believes the “season has gone worse than expected.” However, he does not think the record accurately represents how good the team is. Over the course of the season, Canapp thinks the team has improved by “making less errors.” The junior’s favorite memory is pitching a shutout against Patterson Mill in one of the team’s two wins against the Huskies. He adds that his favorite win has been both times the Hawks came out on top against Patterson Mill. 

“The season went a little rocky compared to what [the team] expected” according to junior Alex Martinelli. However, Martinelli added the team seems to be back on track again. He is “proud of the way [the team] has bonded.” When the team faces adversity, he added that they stick together, don’t give up, and cheer each other on. 

Even though the season has gone how junior Sean Babiak thought it would, he still thinks the Hawks have a “good chance in playoffs.” Babiak shares the same favorite win as Canapp, the win(s)  over Patterson Mill. He went on to add that the team has “bonded well together” throughout the season. One improvement Babiak sees that the team could have made is in regard to their hitting. The junior enjoyed playing at HCC on April 21 against Patterson Mill.

Junior Mackenzie Dunway thought the softball season did not go as expected considering the amount of “talent” the team has. Dunaway’s favorite memory of the season was off the diamond on the way to Rising Sun on March 29. Sophomore Brianna Billings was doing eye black for senior Abby Buckland and the eyeblack got messed up leading for it to be cleaned up in a silly way that Dunaway likes to think back on. 

The junior used a different mentality to better her performance on the field. She “stopped caring about what other people thought of [her] as a player and just would go out and do [her] thing.” Since this Dunaway expressed she has seen better results in her game. Her favorite win was against the Bobcats in a 6-5 win.