Cheerleaders start season off strong;

Team works to achieve cohesiveness

Cheerleading has started full force towards their season and members of the squad so they want to works well together and they are determined to get better. The head coach of the team is Ms. Ashley Smith and there are three captains, juniors Alyza Robinson, Bianca Baker, and Ashley Calligaro.

The rest of the cheer team consists of five freshmen, six sophomores, eight juniors, and no seniors.  Junior Baker said the start of the season is “going good, I feel like all of us as a team have made a lot of progress.” “The main goal we have is to put on a good routine at regionals and hopefully advance,” said junior Calligaro. 

The cheer team performs at football games but also does cheer competitions against other schools.  A typical practice for the team is warming up, then working on their competition routine, and then working on everything they show at football games such as the halftime routine and all the cheers for the game.

To build a stronger team they “Always stretch together, and we try to do as many activities together as we can,” said Baker. Having a team that works together is very important. “Compared to other years I think this year they definitely work a lot better, which results in a more put together routine.”

Over the summer the cheerleaders had to make sure that they would be prepared for the season. “I prepared for the season by doing tumbling classes weekly,” said Calligaro. Preparing before a season is very important to have a successful year. Throughout the season the cheer team works hard on many different things like stunting and cheers. “ My favorite thing this season is stunting or getting ready together as a team for the games,” stated Baker. 

As new freshmen have come to the team, everyone has been stepping up and helping them improve and work together as a team, according to veteran team members. Colligaro says “My favorite part of the season so far has been teaching the new girls tumbling and sharing my knowledge of cheerleading with them.”