Boys soccer kicks off year; Varsity holds 5-2 record

The varsity boys soccer team consists of 22 players this season, who hold a 5-2 record. Last year’s record was 15-3, with two ties. PHOTO CREDIT: Racheal Sims

Boys soccer is back in action, and has a 5-2 record so far, under the coaching of Mr. Erik Lane and Mr. Randy French. 

Each team has three captains, including seniors Matthew Siedlecki, Ben Wardle, and Mason Barker on varsity, and sophomores Trent McCarthy, Emory Winn, and freshman Jacob Babiak on JV.

Senior defender Siedlecki has been playing for five years, and is now a captain on varsity. He stated that their practices have been going well, and that there “hasn’t been many bad moments.”  While the team is still working on bonding through events like team dinners, they “plan on having another playoff run and making it to States again.”

Personally, he is looking forward to enjoying “every little moment with the guys” and winning against C. Milton Wright again. 

As of Sept. 18, the varsity team has played seven games, with wins against Towson, Sparrows Point, Century, North East, and Aberdeen. Both losses were close against Perry Hall and Hereford.

Senior right defender Sean Babiak has been playing soccer since he was five years old. He believes they will “do well this season, if [they] keep working hard and playing with heart.” Babiak claims that “everybody needs to have the same goal” in order to be successful. Similarly to Siedlecki, he would like to beat C. Milton Wright in the playoffs. 

Babiak added that “practices have been going really good” and that the team needs “to keep working every day to get better.”

Junior Jack Worden is also a member of the varsity team, and he hopes to win against Fallston, along with going back to States.

The team’s senior night will take place on October 16. Eight players will be recognized, including Babiak, Mason Barker, Antonio Fuggitti, Michael Lawry, LB Salamone, Logan Shum, Siedlecki, and Wardle.

Sophomore Brayden Cornman is a part of the JV team, and Cornman’s main goal as of right now is for the team to get a goal in one of their games. The JV team record as of Sept. 18 is 1-4, with a win against North East, and losses against Towson, Sparrows Point, Aberdeen, and Hereford.