Looking for wins, bonds, more; Field hockey has high hopes for season

With a 2-1 season opener over C. Milton Wright on Sept. 13 , the field hockey team has a positive outlook on the upcoming season. They are led by head coach and English teacher, Mrs. Carla Harward, in her 11th year of coaching the Hawks.

Captains of the 2023 roster include seniors Mekenzie McCann (defense) Sarah Reifsnyder (goalie), and Korynn Sims (midfield). 

Wednesday, Oct 4 at 6:45, the Hawks will have their senior night, where they will celebrate this season’s seniors: Grace Conklin (midfield), Sara Ford (midfield), Izzy Hendricks (forward), Amber Kozlowski (forward), McCann, Reifsnyder, Sims, and Natalie Sturgill (forward). 

During the game versus the Mustangs, McCann said that the team “fought really hard and played” their best. She claimed that if the team “keeps up with this energy in every game, and use everyone on the team’s strengths then” they will be able to “be a really successful team this season.” 

To Sims, being a captain “means putting what is best for the team above all and stepping up and leading.” As a caption Sims stated that she wants to “do what’s in the teams best interest even if it’s not what everyone agrees on.”

McCann is “most excited to see how far the team will go” this season. Junior, Mollie Fialcowitz (forward) wants everyone “to play as a team and come together to go as far” as they did “last year.” Fialcowitz feels confident saying that the team could go as far as the 2022 season. 

“Finally being a senior on senior night” is one of the things Sims is excited for this season. 

With team bondings hosted by juniors, Delaney Heffner and Sarah Welzant, the team has been able to get to know each other again. McCann also added that sometimes during practices there are “challenges where the team competes against each other.” 

Fialcowitz added that they “have a lot of intensity at practice” and the team really “works on a lot of great” drills. 

After an overtime 2-1 loss to Hereford last year, McCann said she wants to win the rematch on Oct. 17 at The Nest this season.