Senior chosen for statewide competition

Reifsnyder finds place in field hockey team

At the Nest, there are many girls who play field hockey, whether it be on the school team, or on a recreational team. However, one senior was recently given the chance to play in a large competition after being chosen for a statewide field hockey team.

Senior Sarah McKee-Hurley Reifsnyder was “speechless and caught off-guard” after finding out she was selected by English teacher and field hockey coach Mrs. Carla Harward in the middle of her yearbook class. The email “brought tiny tears to [her] eyes because [she] was honored that coaches chose [her] to represent our school.”

According to Reifsnyder, was selected for “attitude, [and] field hockey accomplishments that I have achieved since I started playing field hockey,” as well as team spirit and leadership. The senior played her first game on Wednesday, Nov. 15 with girls from other high schools. She adds that while she is nervous, it is a “good nervous, because I just want everyone to know why I was picked and that my coaches picked a good [player].”

To prepare for her big game, Reifsnyder says she is, “getting good sleep and just listening to the sports speeches that I listen to before I play.” She continues saying that she listens to a lot of Kobe Bryant’s and Michael Jordan’s speeches, talking about how you [have to] dig deep and push yourself to do your best” while playing so that she can succeed. She also adds that she eats a lot of protein and drinks a lot of water the night prior to her games so that she is hydrated and “ready to play [her] best.”

The player states that there are both pros and cons for being chosen for such a big event. “The best thing is that you get to represent your school and show why you were chosen,” she says, “and also you get to be a part of something so fun and also see friends that you have played against in the regular season and be on a team with them.” 

Reifsnyder continues, “The cons of it are the amount of stress that you have on yourself because you just want to do good and perform well. Also, I have created a big name for myself the past two years for high school field hockey, so I still have a lot to live up to this year. I’m stressing about that part, for sure.”

Reifsnyder finishes saying, “I would love to thank my parents and family for sticking with me through my whole field hockey journey and helping me play Division II field hockey.” She adds, “I also want to thank my coaches at the high school, because they have also helped me tremendously and just gave me that confidence that I could do anything with their help.”