Girls basketball team starts season; Searching for baskets, wins

The girls basketball team is currently — after Dec. 12, playing Aberdeen, Harford Tech, and Bohemia Manor High Schools. 

Senior captain Caroline Nicholson states that pre-season “has been going good; we have had our first two scrimmages and they have gone really well.” 

Junior Natalie Bishop agrees with Caroline in saying that preseason has been going good, and “practices are a lot of fun and we work on a lot of offense and defense drills,” she says. 

Practices consist of conditioning, drills, and scrimmaging. Bishop states that the team has done “well with passing and being engaged in practices and connecting as a team.”

Sophomore Payton Dinbokowitz states that at practices the team does “drills to work on [the players] specific position.”

Junior Brooke McElwain comments that she “has a lot of friends on the team, who [she has] fun with and enjoys playing on the team with.”

Caroline says that the team has “been playing together for a while, that we work really well together with teamwork and being there for each other, and we have each other’s backs, communicate, and work together.” Dinbokowitz agrees with Caroline that the team “has done really well with coming together as a team.”

Sophomore Lauren Nicholson states that she enjoys playing on the team because of “the girls and how close we all are.” She continues to state that she is excited to “see the competition that [the team] will play” this season. 

Caroline states that she is looking forward to “getting to know some of the new girls and getting them ready for next year, and just seeing how far we go this season, and I am excited for the season too.”

McElwain says that the “goal for the season is to win, have a good record, and make it far in the playoffs.”

Both Caroline, Bishop, Dinbokowitz, and McElwain agree that they are excited to play “Fallston” this season. McElwain states that she is excited for Fallston because “they are a big competitor and a big rival at the school.” Lauren also agrees about playing Fallston because the team “lost to them last year, so I am excited to see if we can beat them this year.”

Caroline comments that being captain to her “means leading the team, being a leader, being a coachable player, and being there for the younger players on the team.”