Hitting ground running, Indoor track readies for competition

As it gets colder outside, the runners of North Harford are still finding ways to stay active. Indoor track is a popular choice for athletes to take part in during the winter sports season. 

Senior Austin Parry has run on indoor track for three years and he runs the two mile and one mile races. He prefers to run the two mile because he can “run for a longer time but slower.” His favorite thing about indoor track is “the people” because “most of the people are nice and [he] likes hanging out with them.” According to Parry the team travels to “a complex in Prince George’s county, and a place in Essex.” Parry is “hoping to PR and go to states.”

Breaking school records, placing, and making it to states is what senior Harold Davis wants to do this indoor track season. Davis participates in the 55m, 4×2, 300m, 4×4 events. His favorite thing about doing indoor track is that the “practices aren’t every day because it’s too cold.” 

Junior Cael Sims is currently in his third year of indoor track. He “used to run the 800m and 500m” but now he is transitioning more to the “300m and 500m” events. Sims’ favorite thing about the sport is the “friends and people” he meets. “Regionals last year” is his favorite memory from indoor track.  

Freshman Maddi Coyle is excited for her first season of indoor track. Coyle plans to partake in “the 1600m, 2 mile and 4×8 relay” races.She enjoys the “workouts a lot more than cross country” because they “are harder but easier at the same time because” they “don’t run as far.” The freshman hopes to “get good times and keep [her] pace” this season. She plans on doing “outdoor track and [she] did not want to do swimming” so Coyle figured indoor track would prepare her for the spring season.

Junior Eden Hussung is currently in her second season of indoor track and she plans to run in the “500m, 1 mile, and 4×8 relay.” “Being able to have fun with [her] friends” is what makes Hussung excited for the season. Hussung also wants to “make it states and regionals” this season.