New coaching staff debut; Girls lacrosse sets up for season

Girls lacrosse is looking to hit the ground running this spring season as the team readies for games to begin. Tryouts began March 1, and there were no cuts made while forming the JV and varsity teams. 

Junior Sophie Deibler has played lacrosse for twelve years and she is a defensive midfielder. For her junior season Deibler wants “to grow as a player.” She expects the team to “bond by supporting and picking up each other” along with having “a lot of team bonding on and off the field.” 

Deibler added that Fallston could be one of the most difficult teams the Hawks face this season. She also expressed that the team has “potential to be a very strong team if [they] all work hard together to overcome challenges.” She also said that she is most excited to play “Bel Air” because their coach just came from the Bobcat’s coaching staff. The Hawks will take on Bel Air April 11 at Bobcat Stadium at 6:45pm. 

Senior Caroline Nicholson plays attack and draw specialist and has been playing lacrosse for “eight or nine years.” She is most looking forward to playing Eastern Tech this season because one of her “roommates from college will be there and [she] is excited to see her.” 

The Eastern Tech game will be the last of the regular season, held on May 3 at the Nest at 5:00pm.  Nicholson is committed to play division II lacrosse at Lander University in South Carolina. She added the team will face challenges of “adapting to the new coaching environment and learning the new rules of Coach Ford.” Nicholson wants this season to “get ready for college lacrosse” and continue “building relationships with the girls.”

Senior Kayla Doll has played lacrosse for around seven years and is a defender. She is most looking forward to the matchup against the Cougars  this season. That game will be at Fallston High School on April 4 at 6:45pm. Doll thinks “the team is really new” however, they “are already bonding really quickly” so she feels as though “they will do good.” 

The senior also added that even if the team is faced with a loss of a game the girls will “still going to have a strong bond” and “that’s all that matters.”

Senior Caitlyn Travagline plays defense for the Hawks. Travagline wants the team to be a “positive environment for the team to flourish as a whole in.” She added that the team is “really young this year” but she thinks the team has “a lot of potential to grow” throughout the season. 

Due to the “young team” Travagline added that the team chooses to “focus a lot on team bonding at the end of practice. The team has a “team sleepover and team dinners planned as well to bond more as a team.