Track hits ground running; Athletes take strides to improve

Freshman Madilyn Coyle and senior Valentina Angulo perform a handoff in a relay. They ran on Saturday April 13 at Towson University.
Staff

The track season is underway, and many athletes are starting to put up competitive times and more. With track being the largest spring sport, every athlete has been working hard to better their game. 

Senior Sara Ford runs in the 100m, 200m, 4×100 and 4×200. She also occasionally pole vaults. Ford’s favorite event is the 200m “because it’s not too long so [she] does not get tired” and she has more time to “build up speed to run [her] fastest compared to the 100m.” She is also looking forward to “senior night on May 6.” At this meet the seniors will be running against the underclassmen. Ford’s “favorite part of track is bus rides to and from meets.”

Junior Justin Collins can be seen running the 800m and 1600. The 800 is his favorite event to run “because it is less running.” Collins also runs in the 4x800m relay with other members of the team. He enjoys the people on the team because they make “it interesting.” Collins is “looking forward to regionals to hopefully qualify for states.” Regionals will take place on May 14 and 16 at Kent Island High School. 

Freshman Walter Scarbourough runs in the 800m and 3200m. While the 3200m is his favorite event “because [he] likes running long distance” as it “allows [him] to catch up to people” in his race. Scarborough added that he enjoys “showing up to practices and meeting new people.” The freshman is “looking forward to regionals to get a chance to go to states.” 

Sophomore Tyler Lamont participates in many events; 100m, 200m, 400m, and the jumping pit events. Lamont prefers the 400m over all the other events though “because [he] has a lot of speed and [the 400] is a longer sprint”. “The team experience and everyone on the team is nice,” he added. Along with other members of the team, Lamont is readying for regionals.

Junior Grace Bauer runs the 400m, 4x400m relay, and pole vault. Bauer’s favorite event “is pole vault because it is different and almost separate from other events and that is what [she] wants to do in college.”

Senior Austin Parry runs long distance events, the 3200m is his favorite because he likes running more. His “favorite part of the track is the people because they are all nice.” Parry is looking forward to the UCBAC meet because it is at North East High School and he likes that track.

At the team’s home meet on April 11 at the Nest many Hawks were successful. This included, senior Davis placing second in the 100m with a time of 11.8 seconds, senior Isaac Brown taking first in the 200m with a time of 22.9 seconds. Ford and sophomore Savannah Picha took first and second place respectively with times of 28.3 and 28.6 in the 200m. 

Hussung won the 400m with a time of 1:04.6 seconds and she won the 800m in 2:36.4 seconds. Senior Blake Carberry, Collins, and senior James Ortt placed 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the 800m respectively with close times of 2:12.2, 2:12.8, 2:12.9.

In the 1600m freshman Mallory McCartney took first with a time of 6:01.2. While in the boys 1600, Collins placed third with a time of 4:55.1 seconds. Scarborough took second in the 3200m and freshman Madilyn Coyle placed first in the 3200m. In the shot put senior Rodger Kirby placed 3rd putting up 28’ 5. Senior Anna O’Leary took first in discus throwing 86’ 2 and Kirby placed first as well with 83’ 5.