Exploring the gems of Harford County;

Places to visit to take a technology break

Malinah Jerscheid, Reporter

As spring is approaching, so is the chance to take a break from technology and explore places in Harford County you may have not known even existed. According to Marissa Gallo of The Aegis “Like [she] explained to one gentleman last week, there’s Bel Air and then there’s the rest of Harford County.” 

Gallo goes on to later say in her article how as she traveled for article assignments, she realized there was more to Harford County than what she thought existed. After having to visit the northern end of the county, she states “When we arrived at Eden Mill, I kept asking myself how I never knew existed.”

Many students, like Gallo, claim that they haven’t ventured past the comforts of their communities. Here are five “hidden gem” locations in Harford County that some may or may not know exist and reviews from students who have visited the sites.

First stop on the list is the Havre De Grace Promenade located in Havre De Grace, Maryland. Also known as the Havre De Grace Boardwalk, the promenade is located at the top of the Chesapeake Bay, and allows for a stroll from Tydings Park, to the Concord Point Lighthouse. According to Visit Harford the Havre De Grace Promenade is “a great location to relax and enjoy the scenery.”

The article goes on to explain how it isn’t just the water that makes the experience enjoyable, stating that “Along the boardwalk, signage has been erected that enhances your experience. You may encounter ducks, geese, osprey, and bald eagles during your stroll.”

Senior Gwyneth McDougall stated in an interview about her experience, “I’ve been a bunch of times and I loved every single time! I definitely recommend going in the Spring when the weather is beautiful.”. In a poll of 130 students, 66% say that they have visited the Promenade at some point in time.

The second stop on the list of locations is The King and Queen’s Seat in Jarrettsville, Maryland. The “seat” is located within Rocks State Park and rises 190 feet above Deer Creek. According to The Maryland Department of Natural Resources, “The soaring natural rock outcrop provides a breathtaking view, as well as a challenge to the skilled climber.” This site, along with Kilgore Falls were featured in the Disney’s Tuck Everlasting and according to legend, was a ceremonial place of gathering for Susquehannock Indians. 

Freshman Sarah Wiseman  stated in  an interview that she, along with her parents “hiked to the King and Queen’s Seat as a family and it was very fun.” She went on to say that they “went in late May and it was a very warm hike.” She continued to say that she would recommend visiting the King and Queen’s Seat because “it is a fun outdoor thing to do in warm weather with a stunning view.”

Senior Megan Thomas stated that she also enjoyed visiting the spot, saying in an interview “we hiked up to the King and Queen’s Seat, coming up one of the side trails and walked down to the seat itself. We went in October or November. It was so cool, super clean, and great views of the fall leaves changing. I would definitely recommend it if you want to get outdoors.” A group of 130 students were polled with 74% saying that they have visited the site.

The final destination on the list is Heavenly Waters Park, located in Bel Air, Maryland. The park serves as an entrance point to the Ma and Pa Trail. The park holds an Equestrian Center and hosts many events throughout the year. Kylan Keehan, senior,  stated in an interview about her experience at the park, “I went on a run through Heavenly Waters at the beginning of quarantine and it was a great way to get active and be outside during the pandemic. I would recommend it to other students because it is a beautiful park, especially in the spring!” When 130 students were polled, only a mere 43% said that they have ever visited the park.