Students taking AP tests

BROOKELYN PRIEBE, Reporter

Many students took their World History AP tests on Thursday, May 12. AP testing is a test that students have to pay to take, and if they pass the test, they can get the college credit. If students do not pass, then they do not receive the college credit and must take that course when they do get to college to get that credit.

Mr. Benjamin Scarborough, AP World History teacher said, “for the AP exam it requires knowledge of content and also very specific skills, so it is important that I do a good job at teaching all the content that they need for the exam.” 

He said, “There are very specific types of questions, very specific rubrics that are used, so we look over them and get a lot of practice with those sorts of things so that hopefully when they do take the exam they will be pretty comfortable with it.” 

Sophomore students Ace Baran, Caitlyn Travagline, Blake Howell, Mason Barker, Kate Deily, and Collin Heuser all took the AP World test. Some were stressed while others were not.  

Travagline said, “I was up all night the other night studying and trying to prepare for this test. I am beyond stressed about this and it feels like never ending studying.” 

She then said, “when I study, I just stress myself out and cannot calm myself down and they are like high high high levels of stress. And I do not think I will even pass but my mom wanted me to do this test.” 

Mr. Scarborough says, “I think a lot of kids have anxiety when they get really close to the exam, so I try to emphasize that it is just a test. And that this is something that won’t have a huge impact on their lives.” 

Deily said she bought the “AP prep books and have studied those for a few months.” She also said, “I feel comfortable in my testing abilities so I do feel like I will pass this pretty easily.” 

On the other hand, some students are not studying. Barker said, “I have not done anything to prepare myself for the test, there is not much to do, and I don’t think I will pass it, but it’ll be okay.”  

Howell said he studied though. He said, “I haven’t studied too much but I have studied for a few hours, and I just used Quizlet to help me.” 

Along with Barker and Heuser. Baran said he didn’t prepare himself for it. “If I fail, then I fail. I probably won’t pass it so I will just take the course in college.”