Art Guild continues previous work;

Club shares plans, expectations for new year

Last school year, the NHHS Art Guild started working on their first two murals in the school. Now, the club is starting right back up from where they ended and will be continuing their work throughout the school.

On Tuesday, Sept. 12, the club elected its officers; junior Lily Corcoran was chosen as president, sophomore Mia Siegel was selected as vice president, and sophomore Lee Kress was appointed as treasurer. According to art teacher and club advisor Mr. Jason Blevins, the club is starting the year off strong with continuing work from last year. The first mural the club started working on, located across from the art rooms, is still being worked on by the same artists from last year aside from the graduated seniors.

A mural created for the government hallway, created by 2023 alumna Isabella Singh and senior Emma Cornman, is currently sitting in one of the galleries in the atrium, closest to the stairs. However, the club is currently making plans as to what to work on next.

There are many newcomers to the club this year. Junior Sage Thompson joined this year because they “wanted to have a chance to use [their] artistic abilities in other ways instead of just by [themself].” Thompson mentioned that they did not really know what to expect from the Art Guild, but as the club starts getting down to business, they said, “I’m excited to start more murals around the school, as I think they’re really cool.”

Many members of the club are also returning from last year. Junior Liz O’Brien rejoined because they “wanted to finish [their] part in the mural because [they] had worked very hard on it last year and wanted to continue to watch the mural come together.” O’Brien adds that they’re “excited” to see the mural in the art wing be completed and for another one to get started.

Both juniors would recommend joining Art Guild. Thompson explains, “it’s a nice community; even if you aren’t super confident in your abilities, there’s people to support you.” O’Brien adds, “it’s a lot of fun to see so many talented artists come up with new ideas and share their skills with their peers. Everyone is always welcoming, and there’s something for everyone to participate in.”

If students would like to join the club, they can swing by Blevins’ room (D212) on Tuesdays from 2:10-3.