Cheap products for low prices;

Questionable quality in websites Temu, Wish

Wish.com was founded in 2010 and gained popularity for its low prices and weird items that people wish to review (for example, Danny Gonzalez’s. “Wish Dot Com” video that had over 13 million views). It’s known for having weird products, like lots of Donald Trump-themed products such as shirts, socks, or even toilet bowl cleaners. They sell oddly themed socks, human teeth, multiple bread-themed objects, and other miscellaneous gadgets. 

The downfall with Wish is the shipping time it takes to deliver the items that are ordered. Review.io has reviews of shipping time, from two days to two months. However, there is a new contender on cheap, not really useful products, and the shipping time is seemingly better. This website is similar to Shein, with the cheap clothes that are both advertised. This brings up a conversation about a very similar contender doing almost the same thing, Temu

Temu is selling similar items such as kitchen gadgets, organizing equipment, clothes, and other odd items. The amount of cheap, quickly produced items being sold for cheap online is rising from websites like these. Other examples include Shein, Aliexpress, the aforementioned Temu and Wish. These websites are mainly sources from China, and have questionable sources of their products, with claims of child labor. Modern retail.co explains that the sourcing and products of these websites hurts American businesses big and small and creates a pollution problem due to the cheap materials used. 

Junior Mia Sbodio talks about a shirt that she bought from Temu which was advertised at 3$. According to Sbodio, the shirt, when advertised “wasn’t on a model or anything; it was sort of just floating in a white background.” The shipping was free, and it did not arrive late or slow. However, the quality was poor. Sbodio says, “I got what I ordered, but the material is thin, so I have to be careful.”

Overall, consumers are getting what they’re paying for: cheap clothes with cheap materials. These clothes are made and meant to be worn only a few times before they are either torn or broken. Overall, according to sitejabber.com, Temu has a rating of 2.3 stars. The quality is bad, and the amount of fast fashion is worse for the environment. 

On the other hand, Wish.com, according to sitejabber.com has a rating of 2.3, the same as Temu. Freshman Käde McMahon bought a tattoo needle and patch set from Wish. In his words, the set was “advertised well, but [it] was bland. [It] could have done more.” When everything arrived, which was said to take a longer time to get there, “The patches were smaller than advertised, but the tattoo needles were fine.” On updates on their quality, they still work fine and didn’t break while in use. However, McMahon mentions how he wouldn’t buy from Wish again, because it seems “sketchy, or not reliable.”