Controversial conflicts in sports

Emmie Catrambone, Entertainment Editor

In recent months there have been many conflicts and disagreements in sports, issues that have sparked world-wide debates and discussions.

Serena Williams was recently criticized for wearing her catsuit at the French Open.  After she wore this outfit at one of her matches, the French Tennis Federation President Bernard Giudicelli announced a new dress code for tennis matches, and said that players “must respect the game and the place.” It is apparent, however, that Williams was not wearing this outfit to be rude in any way.  She said that wearing the suit is very functional during the match and helps her body with blood clotting.

Many people around the world are very upset over the new ban and new rules regarding dress code.  There have been numerous accounts of people body shaming Williams, too, even though she is one of the greatest athletes of all time. William’s advocates say that these remarks and rules are both sexist and racist, saying that problems like this would not be occurring if Williams was a white female or of a different gender all together.

Nike recently released an ad depicting Colin Kaepernick as the face of their new campaign.  A black and white picture of his face was pictured with the quote “Believe in something.  Even if it means sacrificing everything.”

Kaepernick was the quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers from 2012 to 2016.  During his last year with the football team, the quarterback started a trend of kneeling during the National Anthem as a form of protest against racism and poor treatment of minorities in America.

Many other players around the National Football League then started kneeling as well, sparking a nation-wide debate over whether or not the protest was disrespectful towards the United States and members of the military. When Nike released their new ad campaign, many people against the protests were astonished and angry that Nike would choose to align themselves with an issue so controversial.

“I think that it’s almost like Nike is agreeing with Colin Kaepernick with what he did and I think what he did was disrespectful to the flag and to veterans; he didn’t stand up for our country, like respecting the country and the flag so I feel like Nike’s agreeing with what he did, so I disagree with what Nike has done with their ad,” says sophomore Addy Dean.

Nike has already lost two NCAA sponsorships, both at smaller division two schools. The College of the Ozarks, one of the schools choosing to part ways with Nike,  President Jerry C. Davis was recently quoted saying “If Nike is ashamed of America, we are ashamed of them. We also believe that those who know what sacrifice is all about are more likely to be wearing a military uniform than an athletic uniform.”