Keith shares her secret talent; English teacher is passionate painter

Marissa Altenburg, Reporter

Picture perfect. Perspective. Painter.  

North Harford High School English teacher Ms. Emily Keith is a teacher in school hours and spends her downtime working on her secret talent. Keith has a passion for painting and making art. 

pc:Mrs.Emily Keith Keith’s latest painting of her nature inspired flamingo. While at home she has continued to create new art.

Keith says she began painting when she was in college and had free time. She adds “originally I started because of my dad;  he is very artistic, and painting was a way for us to bond. Recently, I got back into painting as a way to pass the time.” 

The artist says she loves to use materials like acrylic paint and canvas for her paintings. Along with painting she also says, “I love to sculpt with clay, I have one or two clay sculptures I have created in my home.” 

Keith also shares that she enjoys having things like music on in the background to listen to. She says if she has a tv show on it’s something like The Office or Friends that she has already seen before. 

“I get inspiration from places I have been or my own environment. I also love to give my paintings to other people, so a lot of my inspiration comes from the person I am painting for,”says the creator. Keith shares that she has a love for painting flowers and animals saying, “I love to paint flowers, particularly sunflowers. However, I just finished a flamingo painting so at this time, that one is my favorite.” 

Keith adds she has too many pieces to count. Since being out of school she has added three pieces to her collection with two more on the way. 

Last January Keith had the opportunity to visit the Andy Warhol museum in Pittsburgh, PA. She says it was “incredible.” The artist says she loves to go and visit art museums. Adding that for her there is a special feeling getting to go in and be surrounded by the art from the artist you admire. 

“I find flowers and nature easy to paint. Animals are challenging for me and I have never attempted people, but I am sure they would be difficult,” shares Keith  

Tenth grade English student in Keith’s class Beverly Bigelow shares that, Keith also brings her love of art into the classroom by often having her students review artworks based on different literary works after they have read a story or writing.