O’Leary commits to Lafayette; Balancing sports, school

SUMMER GRACE, Reporter

The college selection and admission process can be an exciting and daunting task for high school seniors. Taking the next step in one’s academic career is an important and life-changing decision. Erin O’Leary, a senior, started the process early. 

“I wanted to do something in the engineering or chemistry field, and Lafayette has great programs for both of those,” O’Leary shares. She thought the campus was “absolutely beautiful as well.” 

O’Leary has been a member of the NHHS Track and Field team since her freshman year.  She was hopeful to continue her participation in the sport during her college career. 

O’Leary was in contact with the track and field coach at Lafayette and they recruited her to throw for them. “Disc is like a flattened frisbee thing that we throw in the air,” she explains.

“The shot” is a heavy ball that the players throw. According to O’Leary, the ball is 20 pounds and on a short chain that they have to throw. “The hammer” is a lighter ball on a longer chain that they throw.

O’Leary explains that she applied for an early decision, so she had to get her parents’ signature as well as a counselor’s signature. “Then I had to wait to get in, and then once I got in I had to accept the offer of admission, and pay the deposit to be admitted,” she shares. Because O’Leary is going to Lafayette to play a sport, she also had to sign a letter of intent for track. 

“I’m really excited for the classes I’m going to be taking because they’re going to be more centered on subjects that interested me the most,” O’Leary expresses. She’s also really looking forward to being on a college team and the “social group that comes with that.”

O’Leary says she thinks managing her classes will be a challenge. “My STEM classes are going to be the hardest because I know they’re supposed to be heavy on workload,” she shares. O’leary thinks it’s “going to be hard to manage [her] time.”

Even with the huge effect on colleges due to Covid-19, the selection process wasn’t too difficult for O’Leary. “I had never wanted to go on official tours, so I didn’t take a virtual tour,” she explains. 

O’Leary adds, “I just drove up to the campus with my parents and we walked around with masks on and stayed a safe distance away from other people.” She says this allowed her to get a feel for the campus itself.

According to O’Leary, Lafayette had a few scholarships they were giving away to students based on merit. 

O’Leary advises all students to begin the application process early. “In the summer because it is really hard to balance getting your school work done and applying for colleges at the same time,” she explains. 

“I’m really excited going to a school out of state, because even though it’s pretty close to home, it’s still going to be a very different experience and a change of pace,” she shares.