Pressure faced by athletes; Recruitment process impacts students

Mackenzie Scott, Reporter

The recruitment process is a path some student athletes will start to look into. The process includes many steps and work put in by the student. Many have to deal with school, work, practice, ect.  

Many things can go into this process such as choosing a division, communicating with colleges and coaches, and making quick decisions. USA Today reports the most stressful things to manage are where you stand with the college coach, which division is right for you, getting a highlight video and scholarships, or financial aid. 

While dealing with the recruiting process, student athletes also still have to practice for their sport and work to get better. Junior Finley Lavin, who plays soccer said, “I practice three days a week and [have] two games on the weekend.”

Lavin, who is currently looking into schools, said, “it’s a difficult and complicated process.” She said, “You’ll spend hours on calls with colleges because they want to get to know you and for you to get to know them.” 

Another thing to take in account is grades. According to the National Collegiate Athletic Association “eligibility standards that take into account GPA, standardized test scores, core courses taken in high school and the grades earned in those core courses.” Lavin said she’s looking to major in science. 

Lavin said that growing from a high school athlete up to a club athlete has made her grow more love for soccer. While the stress from recruitment can be hard for someone to manage, Lavin said her sport “just takes your mind off the stress of school and anything else in your life, so I think it’s just really helpful.” 

“Choosing the right college can sometimes seem like an overwhelming process,” according to the National Collegiate Athletic Association. The NCAA says students should “look for a college that will help you become a better student.” 

According to an article written by QiVantage, staying positive “is probably the single most important thing.” It adds that “college recruiting season is an incredibly stressful time and is likely to take a toll on any athlete.” So “keeping an open mind and positive attitude will help make this process smoother and feel less dire if it doesn’t end up the way you are anticipating.”