Booster club takes off;

Supporting music programs in school

Students have heard of booster clubs for the NHHS sports clubs, and now there is a music booster club. “This booster is for the music department as a whole! This organization will support chorus, band and orchestra! Booster clubs can be hugely beneficial to programs when it comes to support and fundraising,” said choir teacher Ms. Katelyn Hemling. “Ultimately, we want to provide as many opportunities for our music students as we can and the booster can help us achieve that!” 

The booster club is open to, “any parent or guardian of a student enrolled in music.” The music teacher explains that there are bi-monthly member meetings.” The club is currently working towards, “becoming an established organization and assisting with fundraising ideas for the music department,” Hemling continues. The main purpose behind the club is to host fundraisers in order to raise enough money that will allow the music department to go on trips at a more affordable cost.

Dec. 5 marks the first fundraiser the club has held  at Vagabond Sandwich Company in Bel Air. “This fundraiser is to support the music program in general and is the Boosters first, which is exciting!” Hemling says. 

“I was there for a little while, and saw a lot of NHHS families and staff! It was exciting to see everyone and hear people mentioning that they were there in support of NHHS music. We do not know the exact turn out just yet, but I feel like this was a successful first event,” said Hemling. 

This was the first fundraiser the Booster Club has hosted.  However, “the Booster Club is working on planning more fundraisers and as soon as we have dates, I will be sure to let everyone know,” says Hemling, excited about the future of the Booster Club. 

This organization is always looking for new members; parents who want to join can email their students’ music teacher to obtain more information on how to become involved and help the music programs grow.