History of Christmas carols date back to 15th century; Songs act as “heartening, seasonal link between past and present”

Christmas caroling is a very old tradition that can be traced back to England. Although it was once popular, the trend has died down a bit.
The British Museum

Christmas caroling stands as one of the most popular holiday traditions in over 160 countries, according to the World Population Review. But, its religious history began with Franciscan friars who were followers of Saint Francis of Assisi. 

Until the Saint joined in, Christmas music was “inappropriate for what was supposed to be a solemn holiday, and so carols were sung on streets more than in churches,” reports Billboard. During his 17th century reign, Oliver Cromwell even banned Christmas carols in the United Kingdom. 

“Jesus refulsit omnium” which means “Jesus illuminates all” is the name of a Latin carol composed by St. Hilary Poitiers in the fourth century, which is presumed to be the oldest christmas song. Billboard reports that the Roman Christian poet Prudentius composed ‘Corde natus ex Parentis’” in the fourth century as well. The English translation means “Of the Father’s Heart/Love Begotten.” Although some would say these are more hymns than carols, they are the oldest known Christmas songs.

Yesterday’s America states that in the early days of England, “people would travel from house to house and use the saying [‘wassail’] as a way of wishing good fortune on their neighbors.” The saying derives from an Old Norse word, “veis heill” which means to “be well and in good health.” Eventually, someone started singing and “Here We Come-A-Wassailing” evolved into “We Wish You a Merry Christmas.”

Since then, the tradition has spread all over the world in an effort to celebrate the winter holiday. Yet, according to Pew Research Center, only about 17 percent of Americans reported going Christmas caroling in 2017. This decrease can be attributed to the creation of Christmas albums by famous artists like Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole.

The top-selling albums belong to Elvis Presley, Michael Buble, and Mariah Carey. Senior Hailey Shoemaker says that her family loves to “listen to the classics throughout the holiday” which include songs from some of the artists previously mentioned.