Pulling puppet strings;

Professional puppeteer assists NH thespians

Lights. Camera. Action! On Feb. 22 and 23, starting at 7 pm, the students in Mrs. Nancy Green’s drama three class will be taking to the stage in a production of Firebringer in the black box theater. It’s a “funny, comedic musical about the cave people who discovered fire,” says Green. 

This production is teaching the students a specialized skill-puppet making. This is a, “very specialized skill for our drama students to learn, because you never know when you may be in a production that requires a puppet- and now they know how to build one and create one from design to implementation- which is a specialized, marketable skill not everyone has,” says Green.

“As far as I know, puppets became popular during the 1300’s in Renaissance street performances- Punch and Judy- but I am sure puppetry most likely predates the 1300’s,” said Green. “Puppetry can be found in every culture across the globe today and has many purposes and uses in the theatre.” Dr. Ben Fisler is a professional puppeteer who appeared as a special guest in Green’s class to teach the art of puppets. 

Fisler taught the students and Green that the “creative options are endless – one of the coolest parts and where our artistic theatre students get to really shine is in designing. I learned a good design plan is essential,” Green explains.

Not all puppets are the same, as there are “as many different kinds of puppets as there are people who can imagine them – from hand puppets, marionettes like Pinocchio, [or] giant Bunraku-style puppet theatre from Japan,” says Green.

Puppets have a unique place in history. “There has been a tradition of puppetry dating back at least to the Romans, if not earlier in theatre- every culture has some form of puppetry,” says Green. 

“In American culture, though you can find puppets in lots of places – haunted attractions, theme parks, parades, theatre- and the uses for puppets are very versatile,” Green adds. 

Support the drama class and come to see these puppets in action. “Tickets are on sale on Paypal for advanced seating only- look for flyers and announcements to come later this month,” Green concludes.