Addicted: Alex’s Story: Emotional live performance spreads awareness

On May 30 in the auditorium North Harford will be featuring a live performance called Addicted, Alex’s Story directed by Ms. Christle Henzel the school psychologist. She explains, “It’s a rollercoaster of emotions, diving deep into the crazy world of substance disorder, told through the eyes of a college kid named Alex who’s addicted to heroin.” There is a viewer discretion that people below the age of 14 have a warning because the performance is heavy and portrays substance use and overdose. 

Henzel explains what audiences should expect.  “You’re right there in the middle of Alex’s life, seeing how drugs mess everything up for him and his family, and then you get to be in charge of what happens to him by voting on where you want to send him back in time. See how different choices could totally change Alex’s future.”

The play is all about “breaking down stigmas” around addiction and showing “the truth” about what some families have to go through. Henzel says, “It aims to provide understanding and awareness regarding addiction, and empathy and compassion for those who are struggling.” 

This film can be useful to watch for everyone, even if you are not struggling yourself. Henzel shares, “addiction can happen to any one of us and affects us all directly or indirectly. So whether you’re a survivor, a supporter, or simply curious, come check out a performance and bring a friend or family member; it’s totally free”

The project is personal to North Harford’s school psychologist, Hezel, because her “brother struggled with addiction throughout most of his life. Having personally experienced the devastating consequences of substance abuse within her own family, she said she “was inspired to create something real, meaningful, and constructive that could make a difference in our community.”