Human connection is unavoidable; Genuine connection is crucial

Since the summer before my senior year, I’ve received loads of mail from colleges. Some are as close as Baltimore, and others as far as Montana and Florida. They all claim to be “the perfect fit” for me.

But these colleges only see my GPA, my academic achievements, my community service record.

They don’t see my personality, my values, the people who have shaped who I am.

These schools see dollar signs and good grades. And I am more than that.

Oftentimes, these colleges that “desperately” want me to attend have never taken the opportunity to engage in more than a “Hello! We believe you would thrive at *blank*. Please visit *website* to learn more.”

Now, not everybody is preparing to attend college; however, this can be connected to a valuable lesson for any age. Getting to know a person and their complexities is more valuable than some believe.

The feeling of a friend remembering your birthday, or a family member picking up your favorite food for lunch is a feeling that can be compared to very little.

Connecting with other humans on an emotional level can provide benefits such as an increased sense of belonging and purpose, reduced stress levels, boosted happiness, and much more, according to www.mayoclinic.org.

Getting to know others can also open the door to new opportunities and experiences that you may have never come across otherwise. From clubs and activities to trips and travel, you never know what may arise. The smallest greeting or exchange can lead to a world of possibilities.

Connecting with others allows you to form relationships, some of which can help you to cope with life’s curveballs and celebrate important milestones. Birthdays, holidays, graduations, you name it; you’ll likely have somebody by your side, or at least thinking of you, no matter where you are.

All in all, connection with others provides benefits, potential new experiences, and opportunities to learn more about a person than what is found on the surface. Just chatting with a person can brighten someone’s day, and let’s be honest; genuine human connection almost always results in a smile.