Celebrating November National Health Observances: Diabetes, COPD, Antibiotic awareness

November is a month which has many national health observances including diabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and antibiotic awareness. 

“Diabetes is a disease that occurs when your blood glucose, also called blood sugar is too high. It affects about 27 million Americans, including adults and youth. Diabetes can damage the eyes, kidneys, nerves, and heart, it is linked to some types of cancer,” according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. 

School nurse, Ms. Melissa Wilson states that “there are two types of diabetes, type 1 and type 2. The key difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes is that type 1 is an autoimmune response and develops early in life. It is often referred to as childhood diabetes. It can be brought on by illness, genetics, or other factors. It occurs suddenly. Type 2 diabetes develops over the course of many years and is related to lifestyle factors such as being inactive and carrying excess weight. It’s usually diagnosed in adults but can also be seen in teens.”

Wilson also states that type 1 “diabetes is controlled by insulin injections or infusion with a pump. Type 1 diabetics will need insulin for the rest of their lives. Type 2 diabetes can often be controlled by lifestyle changes such as weight loss, exercise and eating a healthy diet. Sometimes oral medication or insulin injections are needed for type 2 diabetes.”

According to Wilson, signs of Type 1 diabetes include “excessive thirst, frequent urination, extreme hunger, irritability and other mood changes, fatigue and weakness, blurred vision,” and more. 

Ways to possibly prevent diabetes health problems include managing “your blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels.” You can also “take small steps towards healthy habits, [which includes] planning healthy meals, being physically active, and getting enough sleep,” states the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. 

COPD is another national awareness in November. According to Mayo Clinic, “chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a chronic inflammatory lung disease that causes obstructed airflow from the lungs.”

“Symptoms include breathing difficulty, cough, mucus (sputum) production and wheezing. It is typically caused by long-term exposure to irritating gasses or particulate matter, most often from cigarette smoking,” says Mayo Clinic

According to Mayo Clinic, “emphysema [“a condition in which the alveoli at the end of the smallest air passages (bronchioles) of the lungs are destroyed as a result of damaging exposure”] and chronic bronchitis [“inflammation of the lining of the bronchial tubes, which carry air to and from the air sacs (a;veoli) of the lungs”] are the two most common conditions that contribute to COPD. These two conditions usually occur together and can vary in severity among individuals. 

“COPD is a progressive disease that gets worse over time, COPD is treatable. With proper management, most people with COPD can achieve good symptom control and quality of life, as well as reduced risk of other associated conditions,” states Mayo Clinic.

The U.S. Antibiotic Awareness Week is Nov. 18-24. This week has a purpose of raising “awareness of the importance of appropriate antibiotic and antifungal use and the threat of antimicrobial resistance across the One Health spectrum,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.