Information, prevention keys to staying healthy

“Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men, women, and people of most racial and ethnic groups in the United States,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 

The CDC continues to state that “one person dies every 33 seconds in the United States from cardiovascular disease.”

According to NHS Inform, cardiovascular disease is “a disease of the heart or blood vessels.” Cardiovascular diseases include “coronary heart disease, stroke, peripheral arterial disease, aortic disease,” states the NHS Inform. 

According to the CDC, “coronary heart disease is the most common type of heart disease, killing 375,476 in 2021.” The CDC continues to state that “about 1 in 20 adults the age 20 and older have CAD (about 5%).”

Coronary heart disease “occurs when your heart muscle’s blood supply is blocked or interrupted by a build-up of fatty substances in the coronary arteries,” states NHS Inform. 

There are a few ways that you can reduce your risk of developing coronary heart disease, by lowering your cholesterol levels and blood pressure. Other ways, according to the NHS, you can “eat a healthy, balanced diet,” “be more physically active,” “give up smoking,” “keep to a healthy weight,” and there are many other ways to reduce your risk.

School nurse, Ms. Melissa Wilson states that “a heart-healthy eating plan includes: vegetables and fruits, beans or other legumes, lean meats and fish, low-fat or fat-free dairy foods, whole grains, healthy fats such as olive oil and avocado.” 

She continues to state that you should avoid the following foods, “salt or high-sodium meals, sugar or sweetened beverages, highly refined carbohydrates, alcohol, highly processed food, such as processed meats, saturated fat, which is found in red meat, full-fat dairy products, palm oil and coconut oil, and trans fat, which is found in some friend fast food, chips and baked goods.”

Another example of a heart disease is a stroke. “A stroke is a serious medical condition that occurs when the blood supply to the brain is disturbed,” states the NHS Inform. A stroke is a medical emergency and medical treatment is needed. 

Similar ways to prevent coronary heart disease are the same as a stroke, which includes “choose healthy foods and drinks, keep a healthy weight, get regular physical activity,” and more preventions according to the CDC. 

Wilson also states that it is important to “get quality sleep, manage stress, and get regular health screening tests.”

“Most deaths caused by cardiovascular disease are premature and could easily be prevented by making lifestyle changes, such as eating a healthy diet and stopping smoking,” according to NHS Inform.