Band day makes comeback this year; Hawk’s Nest features student performers

Noel Bailey, Reporter

Because of Covid, lots of things were postponed or canceled over the last few years, including things like Band Day.  Previously, virtual meetings with other schools took the place of these normally live performances.  However, this year, the one day event returned and brought a chance to show off the North Harford High School band to younger students from feeder schools.

In attendance were students at North Harford Middle School and six elementary schools including North Harford, Jarretsville, North Bend, Dublin, Forest Hill, and Norrisville.

According to event organizer and band director Mr. John Wojciechowski, the goal of band day is to inspire students to stay involved in music through high school.  High school musicians had the opportunity to feature music and the middle school musicians  had the chance to play on the stage while Wojciechowski directed them.

According to Wojciekchowski, all of the eighth grade band was required to attend but seventh graders that are in band got the option to attend. The elementary schools get a chance to play on the stage as well, Ms. Kristen Novak, the middle school band director, led them, according to Carrie Thomas, eighth grade student at North Harford.

Trombone player Christopher Ortt is an eighth grader along with Thomas, and both plan on playing in high school next year. He wants to “switch to tenor trombone” in high school. Ortt said that band has taught him “how to listen” throughout the four years he has been playing. 

Thomas, who plays clarinet, attended band day. She says she has been playing since “third or fourth grade.” The eighth grader plans to continue music in high school and at Band Day she said that “Russian Sailor’s Dance” was her favorite song to perform.

Fifth grader Caroline Thomas from North Harford Elementary plays flute and plans to play in middle school as well. Thomas wants to try out guitar later on in high school. The fifth grader said he was “nervous” at first but then “after we played the first song, it wasn’t that bad.”

Sean Gibbons and Bradley Boegner, both seniors at North Harford High School, participated in playing in front of the elementary and middle schools. They both play the trumpet, and in first chairs. Both seniors have been playing since fourth grade. The band played “Get Ready” and “I Want You Back.” The seniors said they felt “confident” and “awesome.”