Digging for successful season; Boys volleyball racking up wins

The varsity players celebrate after winning a point. The team won this game against Aberdeen 3-0, on Oct. 11.
Emily Johnson

The boys volleyball teams have had a long season so far, with a 3-7 JV record, and a 7-6 varsity record, as of Oct. 11. The teams are led by coaches Mr. Jason Selby and Mr. Jac Carll. 

Varsity captains include juniors Jacob Jestel (setter) and Jackson Armiger (setter and hitter), and sophomore Ryan Chaney is the JV captain. 

Jestel has been playing for three years, two of which were on the JV team. He explained that his favorite thing about the team is how everybody “hypes each other up.” His favorite game so far was played against Bel Air High School. 

Armiger has been playing for three years, all of which were on varsity. Armiger explained that his favorite thing about being a captain is “being able to lead the team, and getting them excited to play.” He added that he also likes how it’s a good balance of wanting to win but also being easy-going. His favorite game was played against Fallston High School, when they won 3-1. 

Senior Ethan Hartlaub (middle blocker) has been playing on varsity volleyball for the past three years. Hartlaub’s favorite thing about playing is how close the team is, as they “enjoy playing together.” His favorite game they have played was against Patterson Mill on Sept. 13, where they won 3-0, after losing to them previously. The middle blocker explained that practices usually begin with running laps around the gym, followed by blocking drills and stretching. They also work with hitting lines, and “practice whatever [they] need to work on from the last game.”

Chaney has been playing volleyball for one year, and plays nearly every position. His favorite game was played against Fallston. One goal he has for the team is to “work harder at working together”, and his personal goal is simply to improve. The captain explained that he is motivated by “[his] parents and [his] teammates.” 

This is freshman Jedd Carll’s first year playing, and he would like for the team to “win the rest of [their] games, because [they] started off pretty slow.” His coach (and brother,) Jac, motivates the whole team everyday, according to Carl. 

As of Oct. 11, the varsity team has three games left, including games against Aberdeen, Edgewood, and C. Milton Wright. The JV team has two games left, including games against C. Milton Wright and Bel Air.