Boys showing slow start to season; Lacrosse team strives for victory

+From+left+to+right%3A+seniors+Zachary+Warfield%2C+Blake+Howell%2C+and+Kent+Holcombe.+The+team%E2%80%99s+captains+plan+to+use+their+leadership+skills+to+help+guide+the+team+to+victory.
PHOTO CREDIT: Studio G Photography
From left to right: seniors Zachary Warfield, Blake Howell, and Kent Holcombe. The team’s captains plan to use their leadership skills to help guide the team to victory.

While the varsity boys lacrosse team started out with a promising win at the beginning of the season against Rising Sun, they have been on a losing streak ever since.

The boys record, as of Apr. 16, was 1-6. However, that is not to say they aren’t dedicated and express great efforts to improve their skills and team successes. 

The boys varsity coach, Mr. Richard Tableing, has a broad background with the sport, as he stated, “I have been coaching lacrosse since 1997. Lacrosse has been very important in my life, as it has enabled me to share my skills and knowledge of the game with all levels of lacrosse players.”

He believes that most importantly, “it has enabled me to share my life experiences in leadership, positive messaging, and overall character development, which will assist these young men in becoming positive contributing members of our community.”

Tableing believes there is room for improvement with his team. “Coaches and players all need to practice and prepare on their own in addition to practice. We must concentrate on the little things (the basics), because we know that the little things lead to the big things.”

Tabeling has a mindset where he wants the boys to, “compete to the best of their abilities,” and his goal for the team is to, “strive to be better than yesterday.”

The team this year is hosting one freshman, Jacob Hermann. So far, the freshman has enjoyed the experience. “It’s really fun; I enjoy getting to play with more experienced, older people, and they’re a lot of fun to be around.”

Hermann has a five-year history with the sport. He is starting off his first high school season with a strong goal to be the leading scorer on the team because, “I feel like it would be easily achievable.”

The team is planning to use their morals and dexterity to fix their losing streak and turn it into a winning streak. They have faced many challenges this year, as described by Tabeling. “We have been hampered by injuries this year,” he explains.

However, that does not discourage the squad, because “our guys come out and compete no matter what is in front of them.” The support does not just stop at teammates and coaches. “Our family and school support has been outstanding and that’s what I love about our community. There isn’t a day that goes by that my staff and I can’t wait to get to the school to coach these young men,” continues Tableing.