Mr. Sadtler passes away; Hawks mourn loss of community member

The teacher was an avid outdoorsman. Some activities he enjoyed were biking and hiking.

KRIS GRAY, News Editor

Mr. Ronald “Ron” Sadtler departed from his family at the age of 60 on February 9, 2023. Born in 1963, the former coach, teacher, and businessman left a legacy in his wake.

Sadtler was the son of Allan Phillip Sadtler, Jr. and Edna Lorraine Walter. Born in Montgomery County, he was a student-athlete at Damascus High School involved in football, baseball, and track and field. He then went on to enroll in Towson State University, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in physical education. After this, Sadtler moved to Minnesota and attended Mankato State University to pursue a Master’s degree in experiential and outdoor education.

From 1988 to 1990, he was employed as the school programs director at Joy Outdoor Education Center in Clarksville, Ohio. Later, returning to Maryland, he began working as a local physical education teacher at Harford County Public Schools. Some of the schools he taught at were Lisby Hillsdale Elementary School and North Harford Middle School. While at the elementary school, he was the creator of many activities for students. Some examples are the annual Sports Day and the Hoppin’ Hawks jump rope team. The team is competitive and continues to compete now. They have even previously competed in national tournaments. 

At the middle school, his creativity grew even more with the creation of the fitness lab and the disc golf course. This was also seen through his introduction of archery to the school which allowed students to compete regionally through the National Archery in the School Program (NASP).

Sadtler was also a coach at the high school for varsity boys volleyball and junior varsity tennis. According to the Baltimore Sun, “his passion for learning and experiential opportunities was evident in both his professional and personal lives.” Outside of the school building, he had his own landscaping business called Sadtler Lawn Care. Through home renovations and projects, his imagination was even more illustrated. 

Sadtler eventually retired after 32 years in June of 2022. The Baltimore Sun describes how in 2011, “he committed his life to Christ.” He even participated in local and international outreach programs which were beneficial to his faith.

Mrs. Patricia Murdy is a physical education teacher and coach here in the Hawks Nest and was “very sad to hear of his passing, as it was so sudden.” The two P.E. teachers would casually see each other in passing and taught “each others’ children in P.E.,” reports Murdy. The educator also coached his daughters in lacrosse. Murdy is grateful for “all he has done over the many years of teaching and coaching.” She emphasizes her admiration of his “‘matter of fact’ personality and how he would always say hi and ask how my kids were doing.” The teacher is confident that “he definitely cared about people.”