2011 alumnus makes professional move; Graduate lives in Lancaster, works in media

Springer made a forecast of the evening weather. He goes live on WGAL frequently.

TJ Springer

STELLA MANNS, Sports Editor

TJ Springer, a 2011 alumnus, is a meteorologist for WGAL, located in Susquehanna Valley, Pennsylvania. This is the closest to his hometown he has been in seven and a half years. 

Springer is “beyond excited” to be working close to his alma mater.  He attended Millersville University outside of Lancaster, PA. WGAL is in the Susquehanna Valley. This makes WGAL, “feel like a home away from home” for Springer. 

His current station is the “number one station in the market,” which is one reason he enjoys working at WGAL. Springer’s second job in Sioux City, Iowa at KTIV was, “one of [his] favorites” because of his news team. 

In high school, Springer holds fond memories. One of his favorites is,  “going to ABC 2 with Mrs. Chandler and our broadcast journalism class.” He enjoyed being a part of the choir and was even crowned prom king his senior year. 

Springer “decided to pursue a career in Broadcast Meteorology because [he] was into it at a really young age. [He] loved the weather and was always fascinated by it. [He] loved the tv side of it as well. [He] thought it was so cool to see meteorologists reporting on the weather, out in the weather. It’s by far one of [his] favorite things to do.” German teacher Mr. Russell Blake said that “TJ [was] always fascinated” with the weather.  

He recently signed a two-year contract with WGAL. “Most [contracts] are two-three years long,” according to Springer. At WGAL, Springer has the job of the weekend, evening, and noon meteorologist. This means he forecasts, “the weather for the Susquehanna Valley, and [he] reports the weather if need be, whether that be out in the field live or in studio.”

Springer was most prepared to go into the broadcast journalism industry because of Mrs. Jennifer Chandler’s journalism class. In that class, he “learned to shoot, write, and edit,” which is what his job asks of him daily.

For anyone wanting to go into the broadcast journalism business, “you must love it,” says Springer. In this field, “climbing the ladder might be a little more true than other” careers. He said his career began in smaller markets farther away from his hometown. However, now, “business is changing and younger people are starting out in bigger markets.” 

Even though the job can be competitive, newcomers in the business need to “be strong, work hard, and love what [they] do.”