Online education

Digital learning provides new education opportunities

Greer Strine, Reporter

HCPS has and will continue to offer digital learning models to help students succeed, and sometimes even receive their education, even if they aren’t in attendance within the classroom. 

These new models include e-learning, online learning, and blended learning. “I believe that this is an incredible opportunity that has been given out by school systems, such as HCPS. This kind of learning allows significant benefits for students who may have an inability to come to school, or to take their classes at a pace that is helpful for them,” senior Ryan Blosser stated.  

In every digital learning model that is offered,  students can control their pacing, allowing them to gain a full understanding of their content of their classes.

E-learning includes web cam learning as well as video streaming with HCPS teachers and other students. Students have the opportunity to take their core content classes, such as English, math, science, and social studies. This helps students the ability to complete their work even if they are at the hospital, on international travel, or even those whose home school doesn’t offer a specific course. 

Online learning allows students to complete their education all online. This includes all core classes and even electives online, going through the courses with teachers, that are not employed through HCPS. Online learning lets those who are enrolled to take control of their pace, where they do their schoolwork, and their path. 

Blended learning includes an 80/20 rule. That means that teachers meet with students once a week to help them with assignments and understanding, but also, they can give lessons to help collaborate with their peers. In this kind of digital learning, students are also able to take their core classes and any elective that they had wanted to take. 

“I think this kind of learning could definitely be better than having online classes possibly without a physical person helping you because when you get work piled up, having a teacher help  you is what makes someone succeed,” sophomore Ian Pahutski said. 

Many of these forms of digital learning have not been shared with students yet this year. “I had no idea that online learning was offered. I think it is a good idea, especially if students cannot go to school,” according to junior Allison Kahl. 

Blosser stated, “these forms of learning are what can allow parents to make a decision about their child’s education, when a home circumstance could be standing in the way of the completion of their classes.”