National Honors Society holds induction ceremony; New experience coming back after virtual year

MARISSA ALTENBURG, H/S Editor

On Nov 3, 2021 North Harford’s chapter held the sixty-ninth annual induction ceremony at 7 p.m. “There were 49 members inducted,” according to club advisor Mr. Richard Peddicord.

Peddicord says there was a lack of student applicants this year. He attributes it to the online year prior and the fact that many students were unsure whether or not to be  involved because of having just started coming back to school in person. President Jackie Bultman says “I hope we get to see more participants next year. The club is a good one to join as it dedicates time to import values such as service.”

Peddicord also adds that there were struggles when it came to dealing with the making of the ceremony. “We had to limit the numbers,” Peddicord said. “Usually I invite current members to come back and be recognized and then escort the new members up the stage as their names are called, but because we had to limit the numbers I could not bring the current members back.”

The ceremony for the 2020-21 year was held virtually in the spring due to the CDC guidelines at the time. The advisor adds that “it was nice to get back to the old tradition of what the ceremony looked like before the pandemic. Still two members of each student’s family were allowed to attend.”

The four pillars of the National Honor Society consist of the following. Character focusing on the students ability to demonstrate responsibility, honesty, and courtesy. Leadership, recognizing resourceful and problem solving students. Service recognizing voluntary contributions to one’s community. Finally scholarship, students in NHS are required to hold a minimum gpa of 3.0 on a 4.0 rated scale.

Junior Abby Saltzer says “My favorite part of the ceremony was signing my name in the book and receiving my cord.”

Junior, Samina Dhani  adds that her favorite part would be getting the cord and the actual paper certificate. It made everything official. It was also so much fun to be around all my friends who were also being inducted.

Junior Kendall Fortune describes her inducting moment as getting inducted was very rewarding.  She felt my hard work was recognized and  felt very accomplished.

Saltzer adds that it felt rewarding to get inducted into the NHS as my academic accomplishments  and services to the community are recognized.