Students celebrate friendship, celebrate growing tradition of Friendsgiving

Matthew Ledford, Reporter

Friendsgiving is a mashup of the word friends and Thanksgiving, and the idea is to spend a meal surrounded by some of your closest friends while also enjoying a classic Thanksgiving meal. Many people make their Friendsgiving celebrations a potluck party, to minimize the stress for the host, and everyone can simply relax and enjoy, according to the New York Times.

“This year for Friendsgiving, me and my cousins and some of my friends got together and we went out to eat. It was enjoyable to say the least,” junior Jake Dowell, says. 

He added that this was the first time he and his friends had all done something together in a long time. “We had the classic Thanksgiving food such as turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce. For dessert we had another classic; pumpkin pie which is drastically underrated.”  He also commented that the best part of this event was just “being able to get together with my friends and spend time with the people I care about. Because of what is going on in the world, I have not had the chance to get to do that often.”  He believes  Friendsgiving was definitely a success this year and says he is “looking forward to it next year.”

Junior Cameron Radomsky also participated in Friendsgiving this year.   “Me and some of my friends met up at my house a few days after Thanksgiving”  He said that when his friends got to his  house “we chilled and watched some football together then after watching football we went outside and played games like corn hole football and soccer.”  He said they also enjoyed snacks and drinks.

Senior Zachary Wyatt says, “My friends and I had a Friendsgiving where everyone brought their favorite Thanksgiving food to one of my friends’ houses. then we ate and played games and just talked and took time to relax from the stress of school and family at actual Thanksgiving.”

Junior Ally Kozak  also believes  Friendsgiving is a good idea because “it allows groups of people who consider themselves friends to give thanks for the people that are in your life and spend valuable time with them.”  She believes this is important because “without these relationships we would not be the people we are today.”