North Harford introduces new additions to students

The new cow was delivered right before Christmas break as a gift to students and faculty. PHOTO CREDITS: Malinah Jerscheid

Meghan Kalck, SSC Editor

North Harford’s barn has many animals but the newest addition is the baby cow dropped off right before winter break.

Senior Malinah Jerscheid explained how the cow currently does not have a name because the ag classes are going to decide on a name. “Each class is going to create a name and then we’re going to vote on which one is the best,” Jerscheid stated.

Ag teacher Mrs. Erika Edward’s family owns a dairy farm so “every year since last year they have donated a dairy steer,” and this is for students to show and learn. Jerscheid said that once it is born, they are going to receive another cow in the near future because “dairy farmers can’t really use steers.” A steer cow is a “young neutered male cattle primarily raised for beef,” according to britannica.com.

The cow is currently very healthy according to Jerscheid and has adapted from bottle feeding. “He was bottle fed the first two days he was here, now he drinks milk out of a bucket.” Ag students learn how to dairy handle and also learn to take care of the cow. “He [is] adapting well and getting along with everybody.”

He is currently in the barn in a wooden pen but eventually he will be moved to the back pasture once he gets a little bigger because right now he is only a baby according to Jerscheid.

In the near future students will be able to show the cow and this will be a two year process, one student will show it this year and if they are an underclassman they will show it again next year and eventually they will sell the cow. This will be a fundraiser for the school when it is time.

Sophomore Preston Miller has handled the cow in one of his classes and he explained how he is a gentle cow who is “very friendly,” with everyone.

Miller added he is very calm and subtle with students, and he also typically eats very fine grain and milk.

The cow is not the only new friend to join us at NH;  Ms. Cherry, the new pig was also welcomed to the Hawks Nest recently.  She came to us after her win at the PA farm show for grand champion Duroc, according to Twitter. Ms. Cherry was given to NH by Dave Holloway.  Ms. Cherry is also expecting a new litter of piglets in early February.

As of right now, MS. Cherry is the only pig in the barn until she gives birth according to Jerschied, so she has “constant music going on to keep her company.”

Once the pigs are born, students will be able to castrate them and help raise them, this will be a large animal project. “Students will show the pigs next summer,” Jerschied stated and eventually the baby piglets will be sold either to produce meat or as pets for auction for farmers at the Harford County Farm Fair.