Agricultural experience provides

Future careers for magnet students

Annie Finholm, Reporter

Cultivation. Crops. Cows. Community. 

According to junior Yoyin Ogunyemi, an SAE (Supervised Agricultural Experience) is “a project where students who are interested in the agricultural field get to [have] a hands-on experience with a mentor.” When the Natural Resources and Agricultural Science magnet students are assigned these, they are granted a chance to become “immersed in different areas of agriculture,” says junior Jenny Korczak.  

Whether the students choose to raise and sell animals or crops, build agricultural equipment, resell feed, seed or fertilizer, or own a pet care business, states Minnesota Future Farmers of America, they will learn valuable lessons about agriculture through action. Many of North Harford’s students have chosen to work with veterinarians or at farms to learn about different animals.  

These experiences are essential for these students because it helps them “get an idea of how the workplace environment is and it helps with students figuring out career paths as well,” claims Ogunyemi. Since the students can dip their toes into several different pathways, they can not only discover potential jobs, but also general interests they may wish to pursue, Korczak points out.  

The good of the community is also at heart when it comes to these projects. SAEs create an impact, Ogunyemi says, because they bring “awareness to problems that may happen with animals or the environment.” By presenting their work to their class, the students can attract the audience to the problem and spark a desire to assist in helping the world.  

According to the National FFA Organization, Future Farmers of America is an “intracurricular student organization for those interested in agriculture and leadership.” This group has dedicated their time to ensure commitment to the individual student, “providing a path to achievement in premier leadership, personal growth[,] and career success through agricultural education.” 

By joining the effort to benefit the world through education, members receive benefits such as “exclusive chances to travel the world,” as well as “grow their dreams and realize their potential.” In order to provide their members with the most opportunities to develop their interests, the organization ensures that they include several chances to learn chemistry, entrepreneurship, engineering, and more.  

There are many different types of SAE projects, ranging from internship experiences to research experiments. The Texas FFA states that a student may select their topic for their project, but it must fit into one of five categories, which are placement or internship, ownership or entrepreneurship, research, school-based enterprise, and service learning.  

Junior Noa Blanken has decided to take the route of an employment setting, as she works at Miller’s Farm in White Hall. This experience, according to Texas FFA, will provide the student with an opportunity for “development and advancement of skills and abilities.”