Journalism staff hosts Mr. North Harford; Boys prep for pageant

Silvia Martinez, Reporter

Lights. Camera. Action! Mr. North Harford, NH’s pageant for guys returns this May after pandemic restrictions limited school activities last year. The event will take place at NH on May 6 from 7:00 to 9:30 p. m. So far, 16 boys have signed up to compete.

The show will include the following six categories in order: formal wear, active wear, talent, group dance, spirit wear, and a question and answer segment. Competitors will put on their best performance for each category, and be scored by staff members serving as judges.

This year’s hosts are seniors Summer Grace, Greer Strine, and junior Riley Stoneback. Seniors Chloe Ward and Benjamin Sersen will also help host the event by providing behind-the-scenes input from the competitors, as well as asking audience members for their opinions during the event.

Grace went to see Mr. NH two years ago when she was a sophomore. She “loved seeing the boys dance on stage, sing, and do skits” and believes it was very entertaining to watch. She is looking forward to hosting the event and is excited for it.

Mr. Brian Dougherty agreed to be a judge again this year, feeling very intrigued by the entire event. “Where else can [people] see unexpected displays of talent? Especially from students,” and states that teachers aren’t always aware of how much talent and creativity their students have. He looks forward to seeing what the contestants will bring to the stage.

Mrs. Nancy Green also plans on being a judge. Green is excited that Mr. NH is back after “a too long hiatus” and believes it is one of the best traditions at NH. She looks forward to seeing all the school spirit on display, the excitement from the audience, and the “all out amazing performances from NH’s finest young men!”

Green’s favorite aspect of the show is “how supportive and wonderful the boys are to each other,” even though it’s a competitive event. “It takes guts to go all out, but the support of the other contestants gives everyone the confidence to shine,” says Green.

Sophomore Corbin Peacock will be doing a talent act with 3 other boys. He signed up because “it seemed like a fun time,” and he wanted to participate in a school activity to keep himself busy. He’s looking forward to having fun performing with his friends on stage. Peacock hopes their formance will “put [him] and [his] friends out there” and come off as “super cool and popular.” 

Senior Solomon Brundridge will return to the stage this year. “There was some peer pressure my sophomore year to compete. I felt like a fun time was awaiting so I signed up,” he states. Brundridge believes the audience enjoyed watching him, therefore he signed up to compete again so he wouldn’t regret it after he graduated.

Brundridge was considering playing Careless Whisper on the saxophone and singing again this year, but states he “has better ideas.”He is excited about his song choice, and believes it is something that will “definitely excite the crowd.” He hopes his “good looks and charm” will win the judges over.

Peacock thinks he and his friends have a good chance of winning. “The competition? Absolutely crushed. No shot for anybody else,” he explains. He believes his loud and clear personality will help win over the judges. 

Green states she will be looking for the “fun factor” in her judging this year. She believes that if the boys themselves have fun, then the audience will have a fun time watching them. “Be confident and a little bit silly–don’t take any of it seriously–and have the best time,” she recommends. She also hopes the boys choose to be bold and unforgettable. 

Dougherty advises the competitors to “practice, practice, practice–don’t just wing it.” Peacock believes his group will receive a lot of support because they’re “the best, funny, and unusual in the good way.” Meanwhile, Brundridge doesn’t see why the public wouldn’t support him. “A man, a sax, what could go wrong?”

Returning contestant, senior Griffin Hevesy, is looking forward to competing in Mr. North Harford for his second year in a row. He says he’s looking forward to getting to know his fellow competitors and entertaining the crowd.

Hevesy advised the audience to have fun and “ enjoy the show (and not boo) because it can be nerve racking to be on stage but cheering can always help that.”