Preparing stage for March 3; Mr. North Harford in works

The hosts and participants gather for a group picture after crowning the winner. Last years show had nine participants, ranging from sophomores to seniors.

Hawks Reporter

The hosts and participants gather for a group picture after crowning the winner. Last year’s show had nine participants, ranging from sophomores to seniors.

Emily Johnson, IDR Editor

Mark your calendars! The very popular event, Mr. North Harford, will take place on March 3 in the auditorium. The show will begin at 7 pm, and admission will be just $5 at the doors.

If you aren’t aware of what this event exactly is, don’t worry! The event is set up as a pageant for any NH boys who want to perform, in hopes they will be crowned as “Mr. North Harford.” The show includes different portions, including a time to show off their talents, workout attire, answer some questions, and more. Boys from all grades are welcome to compete.

The first rehearsals for the show will be on Feb. 27 and 28, and March 1 will be the final dress rehearsal, before the show that Friday.   

The show has been a tradition, started way back in 2008. Originally created by Mrs. Carrie Rosales,  a foreign language teacher at Bel Air High School, the show has gained momentum and a large crowd over the past few years while being hosted by the journalism staff.

English and journalism instructor Mrs. Jennifer Chandler exclaimed that hosting is “a really big undertaking” and that it takes a lot to coordinate all the different events. According to her, a crowd of 600 to 700 people are expected to attend. “Usually we have a big, long line of people” waiting to get in, before the staff and performers are even ready. Chandler also added that she would love to see juniors John Anderson and Mason Clark perform this year.   

The show also needs judges, of course, to pick the winning performer at the end of the evening. Judges this year will include assistant principal Mrs. Erin Mock, and teachers Mrs. Nancy Green, Mr. Brian Dougherty, Mrs. Dallam, and Mrs. Carla Harward. Mrs. Robin Anderson, a custodian, and Mrs. Ford, a special education teacher, will also join the team. There is a surprise guest judge as well, who will be revealed that night.  

Last year’s winner was senior Ethan Jourdan, who performed an original song on the piano. Many people have requested to see Jourdan perform one more time, for his final year. 

Junior competitor Peter Lein became friends with Jourdan last year entirely through the pageant. Lein performed a stand-up comedy act last year as his talent, while being the youngest boy competing. He enjoys performing because “[He] has a lot of fun making people laugh” and it’s nice to be surrounded by others who want to do the same and just have fun. Lein plans to compete once again in the 2023 show.