‘Drama Fright Night’ added to school performances; Students create original skits

The school’s first ever “Drama Fright Night” happened on Oct. 26 at 7 PM in the drama’s black box. Fright Night is a night full of scary skits performed for family and friends. Drama teacher Mrs. Nancy Green says, “drama two and drama three classes have written original scary stories inspired by known pieces – so, sort of twists and adaptations of things that are well-known with scary stories for the stage.” 

The tickets were presale only since there was limited seating, so people couldn’t walk up to the door to buy them; they had to scan the QR code on gofans.com and buy them from there.

Green says, “It’s seasonal fun, and drama people always love the Halloween season so the idea was pretty simple.” She continues on with,”We’ve done something like this before, to take some scary stories and adapt them to the stage in time for the spooky season.”

Senior Mariah Imes says that it hasn’t always been an occurring event, considering ‘Fright Night’ is a new thing this year. She believes that in following years, it could become a bigger thing than just being in the black box with only a few seats. 

Imes is in a group with juniors Jameson Selby and Adelia Windle, and seniors Alex Wakefield and Emma Gorrera. Their skit is about a family feud between werewolves and vampires. Green says she “loves it.” She also says she loves, junior Kira Holt’s group’s skit which was a “really great” mystery.  

As rehearsals went on, the students stayed in the blackbox. Green says, “It’s pretty noisy and crazy in [there], especially when we add the screams of scary stories.” Even through the noisy rehearsals, Imes was most excited to “see everyone’s reaction” to the performances.

Although it is a limited sized crowd, the nerves are still there, Imes says, “you’re always nervous, you just kind of have to take deep breaths and focus on what you’re doing.”

Wakefield says they didn’t get to start rehearsing right away because they had to write their story before they got to rehearse. He also says they were choosing between the Family Feud or spooky campfire stories.