Students awarded for exceeding academic expectations;

Walking across stage to get recognition

On Nov. 13, from 6:00-7:30 p.m., the annual honor roll assembly took place at North Harford High School. The purpose of this event is to showcase the students that have met and exceed academic requirements at the schools.

The awards were to showcase the grades the students got for the 2022-2023 school year. The event had a guest speaker, English teacher Mr. Michael James, who gave a speech.

Junior Katie Jones attended the ceremony for her second year in a row. Jones said  James was her “favorite part,” of the assembly. She also added that it was “nice to hear his speech.” 

Some students from the choir entertained the crowd as they sang “It’s a Wonderful World,” by Louis Armstrong, “Edelweiss” from The Sound of Music, and “Dona Nobis,” by Ralph Vaughan Williams.

After the awards were given out to the students, and the assembly was over, the students and parents were able to get complimentary cake and drinks provided by the SGA. There were also photo booths of music teacher Mr. John Wojciechowski in the teacher’s room. There were two booths the students were able to take pictures in, and there were lots of props students could pick from. 

Jones said “the photobooth,” was one of her favorite parts of the night because she was able to “take cute pictures with her friends,” who also attended the ceremony. 

SGA was in charge of running and planning the event along with principal Mr. Brian Pawlicki. As student body president, senior Isabella Brockmeyer was “required to make a speech,” according to her. 

Secretary Kayla Harmon helped with the prepping that went into the event. “The prepping by the teachers was mostly done by them,” said Brockmeyer. But all of “the whole executive board,” also was helping out, Brockmeyer added. 

The event went great according to Brockmeyer and “it went better than the ones we have had in the past.” The turn out for the event “could have been better,” in Brockmeyer’s eyes.