Decking our North Harford halls;

Hawks decorate homeroom doors for holidays

North Harford students took part in decorating homeroom doors for the holidays. The day before Thanksgiving break, every homeroom worked hard to decorate their doors for the holidays.

From using wrapping paper to a simple drawing on construction paper, the doors varied from classroom to classroom. The doors were then judged by the department chairs and the winners will get a pizza. A homeroom from each grade won. Art teacher Mrs. Lisa Campbell won for freshmen, choir teacher Ms. Katelyn Hemling won for sophomores, German teacher Mr. Russel Blake won for juniors, and English teacher Mr. David Orth won for seniors. 

The door decorating contest was inspired by vice principals Mrs. Kristina Marzullo and Ms. Erin Mock. “Ms. Marzullo and I thought what better way to get everyone excited for the holidays and make our hallways beautiful,” said Mock. “As an admin team, we thought it would be fun for staff and students to deck the halls,” said Marzullo. 

Decorating the doors brought some new excitement and holiday spirit to the school. There were so many amazing parts of decorating the doors. Mock says her favorite part of the door decorating was “The creativity of each door.” Every door was so different from one another. “We loved how competitive everyone was,” said Marzullo. “It was so cool to see everyone enjoying it, and it brought a lot of joy and comradery to the school,” she continued. 

Many students were very excited about the door decorating. “I encouraged them with the help of some donuts the morning of the decorating,” says Hemling. “I might’ve been the most excited about it, but they definitely also stepped up to the plate for sure,” the chorus teacher continued.

It wasn’t just the students that helped with the door. The teachers were also a big help in creating the doors. “I kind of spearheaded the idea,” said Hemling. “I wanted it to be musical, obviously, but I also wanted it to kind of incorporate our school and something that made us unique, so I was like ‘well, what better way to do that than to incorporate our alpacas,’ which are personally my favorite of the animals,” continued Hemling.

Students and teachers are hoping to make this a tradition. “It seemed everyone enjoyed it and joined in on the fun,” said Marzullo. “I think everybody had the most fun with it, and it was just really nice it brought us all together even though we were competing against each other,” said Hemling.