Budget cuts affect Harford, Cecil County; Students, teachers require support

In recent years, the county in which our school resides, and our neighboring county, have been facing major issues regarding the school budget. Teachers all around have been fighting for justice in their classrooms before the budget impacts more and more extracurriculars.

According to the baltimoresun.com,With massive reductions to programs across the district on the table, a rally for education funding drew what organizers estimate to be over 2,000 people outside the county administration building in Elkton.” The article continues, stating “Marching band, athletics, fine arts and similar projects that are on the chopping block, those are what help our kids stay on track,” Dale Amos, a math teacher and athletic director at Rising Sun Middle School and assistant band director at Rising Sun High, said during the rally. “The money is there. It is there. There is no denying the money is there to do the right thing.”

Math teacher Mrs. Shelly Sparks discusses how she is a “representative for the Harford County education association” and how her job consists of “taking concerns that people have in the buildings to the association, and we try to assist teachers and staff members to be able to help students in the best way that they can.” She explains how they also “take information to legislators to try to get education at the forefront of their thinking when they’re talking about budgeting and making decisions for our future.”

Sparks explains that budget cuts could affect students and staff, discussing how, “we can lose vital people who give face time to students on a daily basis.” This will also affect what programs and courses offered to students. For students, “we [may not have] those courses available to students to prepare them for their future.” She continues, “we need these programs so students can get an idea of what kind of options are out there, so they can make decisions about their future.” Social Studies teacher Mrs. Melissa Winter explains how class sizes will increase and how compensation for staff may get frozen. Agreeing with Sparks as she states that “Support staff for our students [paraeducators, and inclusion helpers] will be reduced.”

In a recent budget meeting on Feb. 12, the Harford County Board of Education had voted 6-3 in favor of superintendent Dr. Sean Bulson’s proposed budget of $47.3 million. According to the baltimoresun.com, this was a “7.7% increase over the current school year mostly by asking the county government for an increase in local funding of $40 million.” Sparks discusses how “we need politicians to understand the needs of students in the county and what the staff needs to be able to be available and present for those students. It should not be a fight everywhere to do what’s right for our students.” She adds, “Everybody should put the student first and give the funding that we need to make the educational environment appropriate for all students.”

“The school board will present this budget to County Executive Bob Cassilly by March 1, and he will respond with proposed funding levels by April 15. The County Council must approve a final budget by June 30” states the baltimore.sun. Winter adds that “Harford County has been forced to cut hundreds of positions and programs over the years. If the budget is not adequately funded, we could see many cuts happening again.”