Student choreographers rise above;

Bringing dance to The Nest together
Juniors Abby Szramka and Olive Callon have been dancing with each other for most of their lives. They still continue to dance together at Supernova Dance Company.
Riley Herold

NH welcomed two choreographers to the nest this year. Juniors Abby Szramka and Olive Callon choreographed things in both the talent show that was held on Feb. 2, and Mr. NH, which was held on March 1. The juniors choreographed the yearbook staff’s Barbie-themed dance, as well as the opening number to Mr. NH. 

Szramka has been dancing for 13 years at Supernova Dance Company, originally known as Diamond Dance. Szramka stated, “It felt nice to be noticed and asked to choreograph, but a little scary as well because I haven’t done something like this before for the school.” 

Szramka has choreographed in the past for her dance studio. She stated, “I did a couple [of] student choreographies, one with my friend named P.J., and a couple small combos in class.”

Szamka continued, “Choreographing those pieces in the past definitely made the process much easier.” 

Callon has been dancing for 14 years at Supernova Dance Company as well. Callon stated,”It’s exciting being able to be a part of a school event that everyone loves, but I was a little nervous because I’ve never choreographed anything like this before; but, I was excited for the opportunity”

Callon has also choreographed in the past for her dance studio. She stated, “I’ve choreographed small pieces in the past, but it’s nothing like choreographing something for a pageant, because you don’t have to worry about technique.” 

She continued, “Choreographing for the guys was a lot more fun because we could come up with funny steps that the audience would laugh at instead of worrying about getting a certain score.”

As for choreographing Mr. NH, Szramka stated, “We watched lots of videos from past years to get ideas for what we wanted to do, but we tried to keep the same vibe as well and make it easy enough for the boys to learn.” 

The process for choreographing was actually easier than they thought, as stated by Callon and Szramka. 

Callon stated, “Working with each other was very easy, because we’re used to choreographing together at dance, but also because we share ideas.”

Callon continued, “Plus, I had experience teaching people who aren’t used to dancing as much as I am, because I teach little kids at my studio.” 

Szramka stated, “My dance experience has taught me how to be patient and also how to relate things to try and explain things in ways others can understand. Working with younger kids at my studio definitely helped teach me those things.” 

Callon and Szramka stated that they enjoyed having this great experience and can’t wait for many more opportunities like this.