Stop being closed minded; Ruining relationships with others

Having people in your life you love and trust stomp over something you have an opinion about is probably the most belittling thing that could be done to a person. 

Proper communication is needed for relationships with others to grow and flourish. There is one main problem with people and their communication most of the time:  they don’t want to talk unless they agree.

As humans, we have been so caught up on this idea of agreement – for a person to be able to be able to move on from an argument, they have to agree on the same opinion. 

This shouldn’t be the case. 

There is a feeling of them not taking your opinion seriously if they don’t agree with it. You can feel them looking down on you just because you don’t have the same opinion. It’s a belittling feeling of them thinking they are better than you for no reason. 

When you’re trying to maintain a positive and healthy relationship with anyone in your life, there should be an understanding of what good communication is.

When someone shares their own opinion or feelings and you think to yourself “oh, I don’t agree with them,” that’s a normal feeling. But, when the first thing you feel is the urge to share that you don’t agree, that is where the problems start. 

Everyone needs to take a minute to think before they speak. Think about why they feel that way, what has made them feel that way, etc. You may have the ability to hear with our ears, but we aren’t actually hearing people through our heart. We have become so inconsiderate of how others feel. 

It makes the person sharing their opinion – which is a vulnerable act – make them feel like they did something wrong. Then it soon starts a resentment between the person who shares their opinion that feels belittled with the person who stomped on it without thinking. This ultimately leads to ruining the relationship entirely. 

This problem has only been getting worse in society. Everyone needs to learn how to properly communicate with others, because somehow we have completely forgotten.