Social media is rushing childhoods;

Children shouldn’t have social media

Everyday, people scroll on social media for hours, wasting their days away. And it’s not just teenagers and adults scrolling on social media – it’s kids as young as eight, too.

“Younger children’s access to technology is rising, with 31% of eight year olds having phones in 2021,” reports actforyouth.net. Having a phone pushes for growing up. This results in children viewing more mature content at a younger age, affecting the way they think and act. “The average parent allows their child a smartphone at age [ten],” stated BBC.com. If the parent does not monitor their screen time and allows too much social media, then the ten-year-old can have unlimited access to almost anything.

Everyday, more and more kids aren’t acting their age. Instead of young kids spending time watching a screen, they could be doing something that would benefit them, like socializing with friends face-to-face and not through Snapchats or text messages. Kids could be playing outside instead of watching a video of a stranger doing something outside. 

Social media has a large impact on all kinds of people, but social media can be even more harmful to young children than to adults. “Regular social media use can dangerously alter kids’ brain development,” wrote CNBC.com. Research shows that childrens’ brains don’t function the same as adults. “Their brains function differently and can be vulnerable during the development phase of adolescence,” continues CNBC.com. 

Social media companies want people to use their apps everyday. “50% of teens report at least one sign of clinical dependency on social media,” stated CNBC.com. Social media addiction is real and common, and can start from any age. 

Not only is social media bad for young children’s brains, but it also jeopardizes their safety. “One study shows that children younger than 11-years-old who use Instagram and Snapchat are more likely to have problematic digital behaviors, like having online-only friends and visiting sites parents would disapprove of,” reported health.clevelandclinic.org. Chatting with people online can be extremely dangerous, especially if the child is not mature enough to know what information to share and not.

Social media is overall dangerous for children, and parents should be more careful with allowing their kids to use social media. Kids should have some kind of social media restrictions, and should at least wait until 14-years-old to have social media to protect their mental health, ensure safety, and not rush their childhoods.