Juvenile illiteracy rates rise;

Early access to tech is to blame

Generation Alpha is the most concerning group of children yet. With a lack of literary skills and basic computer skills at the early age of 11, it launches concern for the future 

For years and years, Generation Zoomers (or Gen Z) has been touted as the “i” generation, addicted to our phones and technology unlike previous generations. Be that as it may, the majority of us did not own a phone until middle school, providing us ample time to learn the way we’re meant to. We developed basic reading skills as well computer safety and etiquette, something that the current elementary curriculum lacks. 

The current state of elementary aged children is alarming, while its multiple problems have just stacked and worsened the issue. The main problem is the parents, who are buying them phones at such a young age. While these kids have had iPads since infancy, the justification, I imagine, is learning apps. However, they will have all of human knowledge in our documented history at their fingertips; that won’t hold the attention of someone so small, so some way or another they gain access to Tiktok, Snapchat, or Instagram, and it alters their brains. 

When they use these apps rather than the internet or some form of learning app, it leads to kids that are glued to technology, but do not know the difference between a reliable source and an unreliable source. They don’t know proper computer safety. “Stranger danger” means nothing when there’s a screen between the two; this can lead to grooming without proper guidance by parents or a curriculum.

With the rise of short-length video apps like Tiktok or Instagram reels, their attention spans are harmed, which means they are less likely to respond to conventional teaching practices as they hardly absorb knowledge. Third and fifth grade teachers have to teach basic reading skills to their students during and after school; their very small free periods and lunch breaks leave little time for themselves, which is necessary. 

The teachers are not failing the students – they can’t help whether the child has too much access to technology or not. Parents want their children to have access to a phone at all times regardless of grade in case there’s an emergency. What did parents do before their eight year olds had their own phones? Call the school. HCPS is considering a change to the phone policy that has been in place since 2013. If approved, it would ban the use of phones in the classroom completely, which would benefit all levels of schooling.

It is also important to mention the bullying, harassment, and intimidation that the phones cause with social media comes cyberbullying there is a consistent trend between the two per jamanetwork.com. This is a detriment to our children, who get diagnosed with anxiety and depression at a young age; it is truly alarming. The lack of computer and internet safety rears its head when you browse these short length video sites you see children from the ages of  seven to 14, who spout obscenities and slurs they do not fully grasp. They don’t realize that once it’s on the internet, one way or another, it’s on there forever and can ruin their chances at a decent future. We need to step up, and I trust HCPS will make the right decision. Parents need to look through their young childrens’ devices or take them, and teach them how to live normally again.