Equal education is critical;

Shaping our society in process

Every child in America is mandated to have an education, but not every child receives the same quality instruction. What type of schooling these children receive is often the deciding factor in the type of adult they become.

A child who is exposed to all types of people generally becomes more tolerant and understanding then those who aren’t.  This is one of the biggest advantages of public school education. But, while this is an advantage, it can’t compete with the missed opportunities that private institutions offer their students. 

Children who can afford to go to private schools are being given opportunities that those who attend public schools aren’t receiving in equal amounts. Money plays a huge factor in this division. “Increases in family income substantially reduce differences in schooling outcomes and improve wider aspects of a child’s well-being.” says the Joseph Rowantree Foundation. 

Private schools are expensive, and those who attend often have a higher chance of going to college than those who attend public school. “When it comes to admissions chances for top colleges, students at prestigious private schools have a clear statistical advantage over students from public high schools,” says St. Thomas High School. 

“According to MarketWatch, 94 of the top 100 feeder schools to Ivy League institutions were private.” This goes back to families who have more money being able to afford to give their children more opportunities. 

Education should be equal across the board so that all children, no matter the amount of money they make, can have an equal shot at securing a successful future. Allowing children equal opportunities gives children a chance to figure out who they want to be as an adult and find interests that they would like to pursue outside of high school. 

But, unfortunately,  that isn’t how education is. The never-ending cycle of inequality needs to end. All children should be able to have an equal opportunity to go to college and achieve a higher level job, no matter where they’ve gone to school. Everyone deserves an equal shot at success. 

Quite frankly, it should be the desire of everyone to equalize the education system because everyone benefits from an equalized education field. When all children are educated equally, it increases the number of people who can hold higher end jobs, therefore positively affecting the economy. 

All of this is possible. All it takes is an equal start at the very beginning of a child’s life. After that, who knows what’s possible for that child?