Hunger Games prequel released; The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes shown to public

In mid-November, the prequel to the popular series, The Hunger Games, was released. Actor Tom Blyth and actress Rachel Zegler starred in this film that was put out to the public.

Senior Korynn Sims has “watched all of the movies and loved them.” She said, “It was really good. I think it made the audience rethink everything they knew about The Hunger Games series.”

She shared, “I liked all of the foreshadowing and the connections to the series. There wasn’t anything I didn’t like about it. It was a great film and all of the actors were on point.” 

Sims explained how the movie built on President Snow’s character and the games, so she had a “better understanding of the purpose of the games” overall. Since there was more singing than expected, Sims was glad the songs “weren’t bad” because it “made the movie more entertaining.” 

The main character, portrayed by Tom Blyth, did a “good job of transitioning his character from a more innocent personality to a kind if crazy one,” according to Sims. She shared, “I always loved The Hunger Games series, and was excited to watch this one.” 

Junior Mia Sbodio has read “all of the books and liked them more than the movies.” She claimed, “I thought the movies were accurate, but the only thing I didn’t like was the amount of singing there because it took away from the games.” 

Sbodio explained she was about to “understand more about the main villain” in all of the movies, which is President Snow. She was able to get “deeper into the storyline and have more information on all the little details I might have missed.” 

French teacher Larissa Arist has seen “all three movies prior to watch this new one.” She explained, “it has been a long time since I watched the others, but I really liked the new one and enjoyed the storyline.” 

In the film, they used “special effects and a bunch of different locations that made it more interesting to watch,” Arist claimed. “I thought the way they fought each other was unique. Seeing the area from the first ‘games’ was interesting because viewers got to see how the arena later expanded and new things were added.” 

The most shocking thing to the teacher was the “amount of singing” there was in the movie. She shared, “I really liked all of the different kinds of music they created and it made it more appealing to watch.” 

She shared, “I liked how the director tied in elements from later movies to the first movies. It gave me more depth to the main character, President Snow. I now can understand why he came out the way he did in the later movies. When I re-watched the movies again, I could put together more about the movie overall.”

Arist had interest in watching this movie because she “watched all of the movies and read all of the books,” so she was curious about what the background to all of it would be. Overall, she said, “the movie was amazing, the actors were convincing, and it was just a great film to watch.”